from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • intransitive verb To propel or scatter (a fluid) about in flying masses.
  • intransitive verb To scatter fluid onto (a surface) in flying masses; wet, stain, or soil with flying fluid.
  • intransitive verb To cause (something) to scatter fluid in flying masses.
  • intransitive verb To make (one's way) with or by the scattering of fluid.
  • intransitive verb To apply patches or spots of a contrasting, usually bright, color to.
  • intransitive verb To display or publicize very noticeably.
  • intransitive verb To cause a fluid to scatter in flying masses.
  • intransitive verb To fall into or move through fluid with this effect.
  • intransitive verb To move, spill, or fly about in scattered masses.
  • intransitive verb To produce a sound or sight associated with this effect.
  • noun The act or sound of splashing.
  • noun A flying mass of fluid.
  • noun A small amount, especially of a fluid.
  • noun A marking produced by or as if by scattered fluid.
  • noun A great though often short-lived impression; a stir.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • To spatter or bespatter, as with water, water and mud, or any other liquid.
  • To dash or throw about in splotches: as, to splash dirty water on one.
  • To accomplish with splashing or plashing.
  • To ornament with splashed decoration.
  • To dabble or spatter about in water or other liquid; dash or spatter water about.
  • To fall with or make a plashing sound.
  • noun Water or other liquid thrown upon anything.
  • noun A noise or effect as from water or mud thrown up or dashed about.
  • noun A spot of dirt or other discoloring or disfiguring matter; a blot; a daub.
  • noun A spot or plash of color strongly differing from the surrounding color, as on the hide of a horse, cow, or other animal.
  • noun A complexion-powder, generally the finest rice-flour, used by women to whiten their necks and faces.
  • noun A shad-wash.
  • In lumbering, to drive (logs) by releasing a head of water confined by a splash-dam.
  • noun A bird-fanciers' name for an elongate spot of color.
  • noun A dash; a show; display.
  • Dashing; ostentatious; extravagant.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun Water, or water and dirt, thrown upon anything, or thrown from a puddle or the like; also, a spot or daub, as of matter which wets or disfigures.
  • noun A noise made by striking upon or in a liquid.
  • transitive verb To strike and dash about, as water, mud, etc.; to plash.
  • transitive verb To spatter water, mud, etc., upon; to wet.
  • intransitive verb To strike and dash about water, mud, etc.; to dash in such a way as to spatter.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun onomatopoeia The sound made by an object hitting a liquid.
  • noun A small amount of liquid
  • noun A small amount (of color)
  • noun A mark or stain made from a small amount a liquid
  • noun An impact or impression.
  • verb To hit or agitate liquid so that part of it separates from the principal liquid mass.
  • verb To disperse a fluid suddenly; to splatter.
  • verb transitive to hit or expel liquid at
  • verb To create an impact or impression; to print, post or publicize prominently.
  • verb transitive To spend (money)


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Probably alteration of plash.]

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

(onomatopoeia), possibly influenced by plash. Connected with splosh and splish by vowel apophony (sound change); compare with Indo-European ablaut as in sing/sang/sung/song.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.