from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun In mathematics, a wave whose length is less than that for which the velocity of propagation is a minimum.
  • To clean or remove the seeds or capsules from, as from the stalks of flax.
  • noun A large comb or hatchel for separating the seeds or capsules from flax; also, in the United States, a toothed instrument for removing the seeds from broomcorn.
  • noun The light fretting or ruffling of the surface of water; a little curling wave; an undulation.
  • noun A sound like that of water running over a stony bottom: as, a ripple of laughter.
  • To assume or wear a ruffled surface, as water when agitated by a gentle wind or by running over a stony bottom; be covered with small waves or undulations.
  • To make a sound as of water running over a rough bottom: as, laughter rippling pleasantly.
  • To fret or agitate lightly, as the surface of water; form in small waves or undulations; curl.
  • To mark with or as with ripples. See ripple-mark.
  • noun Same as rip.
  • noun A small coppice.
  • noun A weakness in the back and loins, attended with shooting pains: a form of tabes dorsualis, the same as Friedrich's ataxia (which see, under ataxia).
  • To scratch or break slightly; graze.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun An implement, with teeth like those of a comb, for removing the seeds and seed vessels from flax, broom corn, etc.
  • intransitive verb To become fretted or dimpled on the surface, as water when agitated or running over a rough bottom; to be covered with small waves or undulations, as a field of grain.
  • intransitive verb To make a sound as of water running gently over a rough bottom, or the breaking of ripples on the shore.
  • transitive verb To remove the seeds from (the stalks of flax, etc.), by means of a ripple.
  • transitive verb Hence, to scratch or tear.
  • transitive verb To fret or dimple, as the surface of running water; to cover with small waves or undulations.
  • noun The fretting or dimpling of the surface, as of running water; little curling waves.
  • noun A little wave or undulation; a sound such as is made by little waves.
  • noun (Bot.) See Ribwort.
  • noun a system of parallel ridges on sand, produced by wind, by the current of a steam, or by the agitation of wind waves; also (Geol.), a system of parallel ridges on the surface of a sandstone stratum.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A moving disturbance or undulation in the surface of a liquid.
  • noun A sound similar to that of undulating water.
  • noun A style of ice cream in which flavors have been coarsely blended together.
  • noun electronics A small oscillation of an otherwise steady signal.
  • verb To move like the undulating surface of a body of water; to undulate.
  • verb To propagate like a moving wave.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • verb flow in an irregular current with a bubbling noise
  • noun (electronics) an oscillation of small amplitude imposed on top of a steady value
  • verb stir up (water) so as to form ripples
  • noun a small wave on the surface of a liquid


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

Middle English rypelen, frequentative of rippen 'to rip'. More at rip.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.