from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A slight indication or intimation.
- noun A brief or indirect suggestion; a tip.
- noun A statement conveying information in an indirect fashion; a clue.
- noun A barely perceptible amount.
- noun Archaic An occasion; an opportunity.
- intransitive verb To express or state indirectly: synonym: suggest.
- intransitive verb To indicate or make evident in an indirect manner.
- intransitive verb To give a hint.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To lay hold of; seize; snatch: a dialectal variant of
- To suggest in an indirect manner; indicate by allusion or implication; give a hint of.
- Synonyms 2. Hint, Intimate, Suggest, Insinuate. To hint is to convey an idea in the lightest possible manner, and especially by implication; to let one's thought be known in an indirect, hesitating, or partial manner. To intimate is to convey one's meaning more plainly than by a hint, but still not directly or explicitly. Suggest has a somewhat wide range, often meaning essentially the same as
proposeor remind (one) of, and ranging down to the meaning of hint: as, to suggesta plan; to suggest more than one says. Insinuate is now generally used in a bad sense; when used in a good sense, it implies pains taken and delicacy of skill. Hints and insinuations are always covert, intimations often, suggestions rarely. An innuendo is a peculiarly dark, crafty, or mean insinuation.
- To make an indirect reference, suggestion, or allusion.
- Synonyms Allude (to), Refer (to), etc. See advert, v. i.
- noun An act of exertion; a snatch: as, in a hint, in a moment.
- noun An opportunity; a fit time.
- noun A suggestion made indirectly; a covert suggestion or implication; an indirect indication, conveyed by speech, gesture, action, or circumstance, whether intentional or unintentional.
- noun Synonyms See
hint, v. t.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- intransitive verb To make an indirect reference, suggestion, or allusion; to allude vaguely to something.
- intransitive verb to allude to lightly, indirectly, or cautiously.
- transitive verb To bring to mind by a slight mention or remote allusion; to suggest in an indirect manner.
- noun A remote allusion; slight mention; intimation; insinuation; a suggestion or reminder, without a full declaration or explanation; also, an occasion or motive.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A
- noun A
tacit suggestionthat avoids a direct statement.
- noun A small, barely detectable amount of.
- noun Information in a computer-based
fontthat suggests how the outlines of the font's glyphsshould be distorted in order to produce, at specific sizes, a visually appealing pixel-based rendering. Also known as hinting.
- noun obsolete An opportunity; occasion; fit time.
- verb To
suggest tacitlywithout a direct statement; to provide a clue.
- verb To develop and add hints to a
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a slight indication
- noun a slight but appreciable amount
- noun a just detectable amount
- noun an indication of potential opportunity
- verb drop a hint; intimate by a hint
- noun an indirect suggestion
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Financial companies, ** hint hint** AIG, have fired back in disagreement, and the Obama Administration has responded to the criticism saying that they treat each company and situation on a case-by-case basis.
No, it is not the gramatically incorrect award that I love so greatly and have never received..hint, hint, but it might be even better; this one is bilingual!
Prémio Dardos 2009
There are three books in the series so far and they are on my wishlist with the hope that I get them for Christmas *hubby hint hint* ;
Book Chick City Book Chick City 2009
And he looks a lot like my Fea *she's a girl, hint hint*
Skateboarding Parakeet James Gurney 2008
So maybe that would be a nice interview * hint hint*
The Ugly Truth About Tokio Hotel: Vanity Fair Fair, Vanity 2008
Ooh, and I also get to see Sophie's dudey new hi-tech camera phone, which I wanted * hint hint* haha.
fuct-up-girl Diary Entry fuct-up-girl 2004
How evil! lol j/k You made up for that. * hint hint* hehe Love you too!
krazililme Diary Entry krazililme 2003
Hopefully * hint hint* he will make a new entry with the airline's name AND sign Grr's guestbook with both flight number (if he has it), arrival time, and airline name.
jaxraven Diary Entry jaxraven 2003
I will go down to Slope Hall; -- give Lady Dorothy a hint that she has it now in her power to make one man happy; -- _a hint_ I believe she never had before.
Barford Abbey Susannah Minific Gunning
I wish people made more poses for girl friends: P * hint hint*
World of SL 2010