from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To refer to, especially incidentally. See Synonyms at refer.
- n. The act of referring to something briefly or casually.
- n. An incidental reference or allusion.
- n. Honorable mention.
- idiom not to mention In addition to; as well as.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A speaking or notice of anything, usually in a brief or cursory manner. Used especially in the phrase to make mention of.
- v. To make a short reference to something.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A speaking or notice of anything, -- usually in a brief or cursory manner. Used especially in the phrase to make mention of.
- transitive v. To make mention of; to speak briefly of; to name.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Statement about or reference to a person or thing; notice or remark; especially, assertion or statement without details or particulars.
- n. Indication; evidence.
- n. Note; reputation.
- n. Report; account.
- To make mention of; speak of briefly or cursorily; speak of; name; refer to.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a remark that calls attention to something or someone
- v. make reference to
- n. a short note recognizing a source of information or of a quoted passage
- n. an official recognition of merit
- v. make mention of
- v. commend
This characterization is no clearer than the intuitive distinction between use and mention, and matters become even more complicated as soon as we do try to characterize ˜mention™ and
According to Krikorian, "something like 50% of tweets" contain at least one @mention, list mention, URL or hashtag. developers who want to understand the tweet text have to parse the text to try to extract those entities (which can get really hard and difficult when dealing with unicode characters) and then have to potentially make another REST call to resolve that data.
So if in one message I @mention you and @kevinmarks, and another message next month I mention you and @dannysullivan, you become a link between those two people and their streams of messages and @mentions.
mention, whether a Tweet by the author, a retweet by a reader, an @mention of other such authorities, the implicit clouds of such signals.
The brief did not mention the 9/11 plot, nor did the title mention airplanes.
Hi there, as the title mention, I need to buy just 1 article that review about a web.
It's worth noting that the "near-equal" funding success the mention is actually a small but statistically significant difference in favor of male applicants.
Greg - why does your title mention "Liberals" rather than "Progressives" since the article is about members of the Progressive caucus??
Also worth a mention is the acronymless ex who has finally succumbed to the lure of my friends-only posts and become the_beer_hunter.
Also worth a mention is the swimwear; all over the trailers but sadly lacking screen-time in the event.