from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A place or location.
- n. The right or appropriate place: The bands are in position for the parade's start.
- n. A strategic area occupied by members of a force: The troops took up positions along the river.
- n. The way in which something is placed: the position of the clock's hands.
- n. The arrangement of body parts; posture: a standing position.
- n. An advantageous place or location: jockeys maneuvering for position.
- n. A situation as it relates to the surrounding circumstances: in a position to bargain.
- n. A point of view or attitude on a certain question: the mayor's position on taxes.
- n. Social standing or status; rank.
- n. A post of employment; a job.
- n. Sports The area for which a particular player is responsible.
- n. The arrangement of the pieces or cards at any particular time in a game such as chess, checkers, or bridge.
- n. The act or process of positing.
- n. A principle or proposition posited.
- n. A commitment to buy or sell a given amount of securities or commodities.
- n. The amount of securities or commodities held by a person, firm, or institution.
- n. The ownership status of a person's or institution's investments.
- transitive v. To put in place or position.
- transitive v. To determine the position of; locate.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A place or location.
- n. A post of employment; a job.
- n. A status or rank.
- n. An opinion, stand, or stance.
- n. A posture.
- n. A place on the playing field, together with a set of duties, assigned to a player.
- n. An amount of securities or commodities held by a person, firm, or institution.
- v. To put into place.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The state of being posited, or placed; the manner in which anything is placed; attitude; condition.
- n. The spot where a person or thing is placed or takes a place; site; place; station; situation
- n. Hence: The ground which any one takes in an argument or controversy; the point of view from which any one proceeds to a discussion; also, a principle laid down as the basis of reasoning; a proposition; a thesis
- n. Relative place or standing; social or official rank; ; hence, office; post.
- n. A method of solving a problem by one or two suppositions; -- called also the rule of trial and error.
- transitive v. To indicate the position of; to place.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To place with relation to other objects; set in a definite place.
- n. The aggregate of spatial relations of a body or figure, considered as rigid, to other such bodies or figures; the definition of the place of a thing; situation.
- n. Hence Status or standing; social rank or condition: as, social position; a man of position.
- n. The act of positing or asserting; also, the assertion itself; affirmation; principle laid down.
- n. A place occupied or to be occupied.
- n. Posture or manner of standing, sitting, or lying; attitude: as, an uneasy position.
- n. Place; proper or appropriate place: as, his lance was in position; specifically (military), the proper place to make or receive an attack.
- n. In arithmetic, the act of assuming an approximate value for an unknown quantity, and thence determining that quantity by means of the data of a given question.
- n. In logic, the laying down of a proposition, generally an arbitrary supposition; also, the proposition itself.
- n. In ancient prosody, the situation of a vowel before two or more consonants or a double consonant, tending to retard utterance and consequently to lengthen the syllable; such combination of consonants, or the prosodic effect produced by it.
- n. In obstetrics, the relation between the body of the fetus and the pelvis of the mother in any given presentation.
- n. Thesis, assertion, doctrine.
- n. Attitude, Pose, etc. See posture.
- n. Specifically, in archery, the attitude or standing of an archer in the act of shooting.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the appropriate or customary location
- v. cause to be in an appropriate place, state, or relation
- n. a point occupied by troops for tactical reasons
- n. (in team sports) the role assigned to an individual player
- n. the relative position or standing of things or especially persons in a society
- n. a condition or position in which you find yourself
- n. an opinion that is held in opposition to another in an argument or dispute
- v. put into a certain place or abstract location
- n. a job in an organization
- n. the act of putting something in a certain place
- n. the act of positing; an assumption taken as a postulate or axiom
- n. the arrangement of the body and its limbs
- n. a rationalized mental attitude
- n. a way of regarding situations or topics etc.
- n. the post or function properly or customarily occupied or served by another
- n. the spatial property of a place where or way in which something is situated
- n. the particular portion of space occupied by something
- n. an item on a list or in a sequence
Obviously, the first problem with McCain position is that for years Alaskans have overwhelmingly favored drilling in ANWR.
And we let some of them in, sometimes with the unexamined conceit that any shift in position is a window into the candidate's lack of character, toughness or principle.
The change in position is much larger than the errors, showing it to be a real movement in an orbit!
The sheer arrogance of the McCain position is stunning; his inability to separate himself from the neoconservative extremists on any foreign policy issue raises major questions about his alleged foreign policy expertise.
As the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world, he rightfully believed that the title position put his place in the uppity-stratospheric levels shared by other internationally famous, extremely wealthy and very powerful male WASP sports figures of his day (think Babe Ruth or John L. Sullivan).
Changing the label position from right to bottom then back again seems to have fixed the problem ... for now.
You therefore assume that my position is also an absolute, always negotiate, always, no matter how ridiculous the claim.
He will continue to solidify his position is the premier name in the specialty gift market through a selective licensing program designed to introduce innovative new products while maintaining high quality standards and exclusive distribution.
I take it that you are under the sway of a contemporary mood, that your position is an accidental phase of to-day's materialism.
This position is absolutely rejected by a majority of US citizens.