from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Nautical The front section of a ship or boat.
- n. Nautical The oar or the person wielding the oar closest to the bow.
- intransitive v. To bend or curve downward; stoop.
- intransitive v. To incline the body or head or bend the knee in greeting, consent, courtesy, acknowledgment, submission, or veneration.
- intransitive v. To yield in defeat or out of courtesy; submit. See Synonyms at yield.
- transitive v. To bend (the head, knee, or body) to express greeting, consent, courtesy, acknowledgment, submission, or veneration.
- transitive v. To convey (greeting, for example) by bending the body.
- transitive v. To escort deferentially: bowed us into the restaurant.
- transitive v. To cause to acquiesce; submit.
- transitive v. To overburden: Grief bowed them down.
- n. An inclination of the head or body, as in greeting, consent, courtesy, acknowledgment, submission, or veneration.
- bow out To remove oneself; withdraw.
- idiom bow and scrape To behave obsequiously.
- n. A bent, curved, or arched object.
- n. A weapon consisting of a curved, flexible strip of material, especially wood, strung taut from end to end and used to launch arrows.
- n. An archer.
- n. Archers considered as a group.
- n. Music A rod having horsehair drawn tightly between its two raised ends, used in playing instruments of the violin and viol families.
- n. A stroke made by this rod.
- n. A knot usually having two loops and two ends; a bowknot.
- n. A frame for the lenses of a pair of eyeglasses.
- n. The part of such a frame passing over the ear.
- n. A rainbow.
- n. An oxbow.
- transitive v. To bend (something) into the shape of a bow.
- transitive v. Music To play (a stringed instrument) with a bow.
- intransitive v. To bend into a curve or bow.
- intransitive v. Music To play a stringed instrument with a bow.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A weapon made of a curved piece of wood or other flexible material whose ends are connected by a string, used for shooting arrows.
- n. A curved bend in a rod or planar surface, or in a linear formation such as a river (see oxbow).
- n. A rod with horsehair (or an artificial substitute) stretched between the ends, used for playing various stringed musical instruments.
- n. A stringed instrument, similar to the item described above.
- n. A type of knot with two loops, used to tie together two cords such as shoelaces or apron strings, and frequently used as decoration, such as in gift-wrapping.
- v. To play music on (a stringed instrument) using a bow.
- v. To become bent or curved.
- v. To make something bend or curve.
- v. To premiere.
- n. A gesture, usually showing respect, made by bending forward at the waist.
- n. A debut
- v. To bend oneself as a gesture of respect or deference.
- v. To debut.
- v. To defer (to something).
- n. The front of a boat or ship.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To cause to deviate from straightness; to bend; to inflect; to make crooked or curved.
- transitive v. To exercise powerful or controlling influence over; to bend, figuratively; to turn; to incline.
- transitive v. To bend or incline, as the head or body, in token of respect, gratitude, assent, homage, or condescension.
- transitive v. To cause to bend down; to prostrate; to depress,;� to crush; to subdue.
- transitive v. To express by bowing.
- intransitive v. To bend; to curve.
- intransitive v. To stop.
- intransitive v. To bend the head, knee, or body, in token of reverence or submission; -- often with down.
- intransitive v. To incline the head in token of salutation, civility, or assent; to make bow.
- n. An inclination of the head, or a bending of the body, in token of reverence, respect, civility, or submission; an obeisance.
- n. Anything bent, or in the form of a curve, as the rainbow.
- n. A weapon made of a strip of wood, or other elastic material, with a cord connecting the two ends, by means of which an arrow is propelled.
- n. An ornamental knot, with projecting loops, formed by doubling a ribbon or string.
- n. The U-shaped piece which embraces the neck of an ox and fastens it to the yoke.
- n. An appliance consisting of an elastic rod, with a number of horse hairs stretched from end to end of it, used in playing on a stringed instrument.
- n. An arcograph.
- n. Any instrument consisting of an elastic rod, with ends connected by a string, employed for giving reciprocating motion to a drill, or for preparing and arranging the hair, fur, etc., used by hatters.
- n. A rude sort of quadrant formerly used for taking the sun's altitude at sea.
- n. Two pieces of wood which form the arched forward part of a saddletree.
- intransitive v. To play (music) with a bow.
- n. The bending or rounded part of a ship forward; the stream or prow.
- n. One who rows in the forward part of a boat; the bow oar.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To become bent or crooked; assume a curved form; bend; curve.
- To tend; turn; incline.
- To bend or curve downward; take a bent posture or attitude; stoop.
- To bend the neck under a yoke; submit or become subject; yield: as, to bow to the inevitable.
- To bend the body or head in worship, or in token of reverence, respect, or submission: with to or before, and sometimes emphasized by down.
- To make a bow; incline the body or the head toward a person by way of salutation or friendly recognition, or in acknowledgment of some courtesy.
- To cause to bend; make curved or crooked; cause to assume and retain a bent shape.
- To cause to stoop or become bent, as with old age or a burden; hence, to crush.
- To cause to bend in submission; cause to submit; subdue.
- To bend; inflect; cause to deviate from a given condition.
- To incline; turn in a particular direction; influence.
- To bend or incline in worship or adoration, or in token of submission, homage, respect, civility, condescension, or attention.
- To express by a bow or by bowing: as, to bow one's thanks or assent.
- To accompany or usher in, out, etc., with a bow or bows.
- n. An inclination of the head or a bending of the body in salutation, or in token of reverence, respect, civility, submission, assent, or thanks.
- n. A bend; a curve.
- n. A weapon consisting of a strong strip of elastic wood or other elastic material, with a string stretched between its ends, used for shooting arrows.
- n. The name of several implements shaped like a bent bow.
- n. An implement consisting of a piece of wood curved, and having a string extended from one extremity to the other, used by smiths in turning a drill, by turners in turning wood, and by hatters in preparing fur and wool for their use.
- n. Any bent or curved thing.
- n. The part of a yoke which embraces the animal's neck; hence, the yoke itself.
- n. In saddlery, one of two pieces of wood, united so as to form an arch fitting the horse's back, which serve to give the saddle its proper form.
- n. In firearms, the guard of the trigger. The bent guard of a sword-hilt.
- n. One of the bent slats which support the hood, canopy, or tilt of a covered wagon or carriage.
- n. The framing of the lenses of a pair of spectacles.
- n. In architecture: (I) An arch (of masonry), as in a gateway or bridge or in a flying buttress.
- n. A part of a building which projects from a straight wall, properly curved, but sometimes, more loosely, polygonal in plan. In drafting, a flexible strip which can be bent to any desired curve; an arcograph.
- n. An instrument formerly used for taking the sun's altitude at sea, consisting of a large arch of 90° graduated, a shank or staff, a side vane, a sight-vane, and a horizon-vane.
- n. A knot composed of one or two loops and two ends; a bow-knot; hence, a (“single bow” or “double bow”) looped ornamental knot of ribbon, etc.; a ribbon, neck-tie; etc., tied in such a knot.
- n. A stroke of the bow of a violin: as, the up-bow or the down-bow.
- n. A ring or loop of metal forming a handle.
- To bend into the form of a bow; inflect; curve: as, to bow a ribbon; bowed shutters.
- In music: To perform by means of a bow upon a stringed instrument: as, to bow a passage well.
- To mark (a passage) so as to indicate the proper method of bowing.
- In hat-making, to separate and distribute in the basket (the filaments of felting-fur) by means of a bow.
- To be curved or bent.
- To perform or play by means of the bow: as, a violinist who bows with great taste.
- n. . Same as bough. Compare with bowpot for boughpot.
- n. Nautical, the forward part or head of a ship, beginning where the sides trend inward, and terminating where they close or unite in the stem or prow. A narrow bow is called a lean bow; a broad one, a bold or bluff bow.
- n. The foremost oar used in rowing a boat, or the person who pulls that oar; the bow-oar.
- n. A Scotch form of boll.
- n. A herd of cattle; the stock of cattle on a farm: as, a bow of kye (that is, cows).
- n. The provisions of a benefice granted by the pope.
- n. A curved piece of metal used to make contact with an electric wire to get current for operating a car. This bow is used in place of a trolley.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. yield to another's wish or opinion
- v. bend one's knee or body, or lower one's head
- v. bend the head or the upper part of the body in a gesture of respect or greeting
- n. a slightly curved piece of resilient wood with taut horsehair strands; used in playing certain stringed instruments
- n. something curved in shape
- v. play on a string instrument with a bow
- v. bend one's back forward from the waist on down
- n. a stroke with a curved piece of wood with taut horsehair strands that is used in playing stringed instruments
- n. a weapon for shooting arrows, composed of a curved piece of resilient wood with a taut cord to propel the arrow
- n. an appearance by actors or performers at the end of the concert or play in order to acknowledge the applause of the audience
- n. front part of a vessel or aircraft
- n. bending the head or body or knee as a sign of reverence or submission or shame or greeting
- n. a knot with two loops and loose ends; used to tie shoelaces
- n. a decorative interlacing of ribbons
Now, you see, _if in the moment of sliding you prepare the bow for the next string, the slide itself is lost in the crossing of the bow_.
Nor do I have a problem wit hnoise with my bow, in fact, my bow is actually quite respectfully quiet! out of all this though, we do bth in deed agree on one thing ...
Any personal best whitetail with my bow is my current dream buck.
Many folks consider a bow is an antique if it is over 5 years old and I guarantee a bow with all accessories will cost you more than $1000.
Once a bow is about a year old, nobody want them anymore.
It's about extending one's hunting season and a bow is a way to do that.
I'm cool with all three .... but the bow is my favorite!
I don't care how fast your bow is your target is still small, alive, moving or angled.
My biggest buck with a bow is actually a shade under 100 .
A lot of bows have this feature or that stat but a bow is a device for killing deer, and I find that PSEs are the overall best deer killing devices.