from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One of the digits of a vertebrate.
- n. The forepart of a foot or hoof.
- n. The terminal segment of an invertebrate's limb.
- n. The part of a sock, shoe, or boot that covers the digits of the foot.
- n. The lowest, outermost, or endmost part, as:
- n. The part of the head of a golf club farthest from the shaft.
- n. The part of a vertical shaft that turns in a bearing.
- n. The lowest part of an embankment or dam.
- transitive v. To touch, kick, or reach with the toe.
- transitive v. Sports To drive (a golf ball) with the toe of the club.
- transitive v. To set or adjust at an oblique angle. Used with in or out.
- transitive v. To drive (a nail or spike) at an oblique angle.
- transitive v. To fasten or secure with obliquely driven nails or spikes.
- intransitive v. To stand, walk, move, or be formed with the toes pointed in a specified direction: He toes out.
- idiom on (one's) toes Ready to act; alert.
- idiom step To hurt, offend, or encroach on the feelings, actions, or province of.
- idiom line To adhere to doctrines or rules conscientiously; conform.
- idiom line Sports & Games To touch a mark or line with the toe or hands in readiness for the start of a race or competition.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Each of the five digits on the end of the foot.
- n. An equivalent part in an animal.
- n. That part of a shoe or sock covering the toe.
- n. Something resembling a toe, especially at the bottom or extreme end of something.
- n. An advanced form of ballet primarily for the females, dancing ballet primarily using a Pointe shoe.
- n. An alignment of the wheels of a road vehicle with positive toe (or toe in) signifying that the wheels are closer together at the front than at the back and negative toe (or toe out) the opposite.
- v. To furnish with a toe.
- v. To touch, tap or kick with the toes.
- v. To fasten (a piece) by driving a fastener at a near-45-degree angle through the side (of the piece) into the piece to which it is to be fastened.
- v. To mishit a golf ball with the toe of the club.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One of the terminal members, or digits, of the foot of a man or an animal.
- n. The fore part of the hoof or foot of an animal.
- n. Anything, or any part, corresponding to the toe of the foot.
- n. The journal, or pivot, at the lower end of a revolving shaft or spindle, which rests in a step.
- n. A lateral projection at one end, or between the ends, of a piece, as a rod or bolt, by means of which it is moved.
- n. A projection from the periphery of a revolving piece, acting as a cam to lift another piece.
- transitive v. To touch or reach with the toes; to come fully up to.
- intransitive v. To hold or carry the toes (in a certain way).
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In machinery: A form of cam by which the valve-rods are lifted in the Stevens valve-gear for vertical river-boat engines.
- n. In a car-wheel, the outer edge of the flange.— 9. The pointed end of the foot of an organ-pipe.— 10. In golf, the nose of a club. See nose, 5.
- In golf, to strike (a ball) off the toe of the club.— 4. To drive (nails or heavy steel pins) obliquely through a piece or element of a frame to secure it to another placed at an angle with it. The nails, entering both pieces, fasten them together against light stresses laterally, and the necessity for tenon and mortise is avoided.
- n. A digit of the foot, corresponding to a finger of the hand: as, the great toe; the little toe; the hind toe of a bird.
- n. A digit of either foot, fore or hind, of a quadruped, especially when there are three or more (a large single toe, or a pair of large toes, inclosed in horn, being commonly called hoof).
- n. The fore part, end, or tip of the hoof of an ungulate, as the horse.
- n. The end of a stocking, shoe, or boot which contains or covers the toes: as, square or round toes; a hole in the toe.
- n. A piece of iron welded under the front of a horseshoe, opposite the heels, to prevent slipping. See cut under shoe.
- n. A projection from the foot-piece of an object to give it a broader bearing and greater stability.
- n. A barb, stud, or projection on a lock-bolt.
- n. In machinery:
- n. The lower end of a vertical shaft, as a mill-spindle, which rests in a step.
- n. An arm on the valve-lifting rod of a steam-engine.
- To touch or reach with the toes.
- To furnish or provide a toe to or for; mend the toe of: as, to toe a stocking.
- To place or move the toes, as in walking or dancing.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. touch with the toe
- n. (golf) the part of a clubhead farthest from the shaft
- v. hit (a golf ball) with the toe of the club
- v. drive (a golf ball) with the toe of the club
- n. the part of footwear that provides a covering for the toes
- n. forepart of a hoof
- v. walk so that the toes assume an indicated position or direction
- v. drive obliquely
- n. one of the digits of the foot
We know for certain, for example, that more employees in certain sectors, such as financial services, are engaging in what we term "toe dipping."
The term toe cutter is Australian slang for a person who lives by torturing other criminals, then robbing them.
Yes, a toe is a small part of the whole, but a broken toe is a huge pain.
On the toe is the American eagle found on the US quarter, to represent the American dream the migrants are chasing.
I think our superiority in toe-to-toe organized military combat weaponry has kept us out of fights with countries like Iran, China, and North Korea, and I think we should continue developing these kinds of weapons.
The “toe is in the door” so to speak, and instead of whining about repealing it, repugs should have some integrity for a change and actually try to help Democrats make it better.
Shucks Bizrobrain [toe kicks dust like jimmy stewart]
You must be "special" friends in order for you to communicate on a regular basis with him when all you are supposed toe is a website that lists what you have determined to be posers. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx sent me a message today saiying that my statement to you about never posting awards I didn't rate was an "outright lie" because my PUC ihad been posted at one time (it is not now).
I was also absolutely appalled at how fast they showed the girls in toe shoes.
I can play through a knee, but the toe is really my foundation.