from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The boyfriend of a woman or girl.
- n. A dandy; a fop.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A man with a reputation for fine dress and etiquette; a dandy or fop.
- n. A male lover; a boyfriend.
- n. A male escort.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A man who takes great care to dress in the latest fashion; a dandy.
- n. A man who escorts, or pays attentions to, a lady; an escort; a suitor or lover.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Good; fair: used especially in address: as, “beau sir,” See beausire, beaupere, etc.
- n. (bōz).
- n. One who is very neat and particular about his dress, and fond of ornaments and jewelry; a fop; a dandy: now most often said of a man of middle age or older: as, he is an old beau.
- n. A man who is suitor to or is attentive to a lady; a lover; a swain.
- n. Synonyms Dandy, Exquisite, etc. See coxcomb.
- To act the beau to; attend or escort (a lady).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a man who is much concerned with his dress and appearance
- n. a man who is the lover of a girl or young woman
'There is, of course, no one I should prefer to _le beau capitaine_ -- there is no one to whom I would confide my Olive more willingly; but, then, one must look to other things; one cannot live entirely on love, even if it be the love of a _beau capitaine_.'
Theron's long-term beau is Irish actor Stuart Townsend.
Today DoCoMo announced that Ms. DoCoMushroom is to be given a love interest – and DoCoMo subscribers will get the chance to choose her new beau from a shortlist of potential suitors.
Fortunately, my current beau is a gorgeous and fun divorcee who is also marriage-shy.
The beau is watching Othello tonight with a friend, so instead of sitting around the house with my dog feeling sorry for myself, I decided to go out and about.
He alighted on the word beau hurriedly, like a bird coming to ground with a little bounce.
The rich and idle beau is nearly always planning marriage without a ring, and the lass is rescued by her strong, hard-working garage hand.
"Well, Aunt Olivia, your beau is off," she announced cheerfully.
Jewel's beau is arrested, an 'granny ain't been seen nowhere since she went into the building last night.
But Weisz did have a son with former long-term beau and "Black Swan" director Darren Aronofsky--see?