from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of bow. (bend)
- n. The act of bending at the waist, as a sign of respect or greeting.
- n. A bending.
- n. A technique for bowing a musical instrument, such as a violin.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or art of managing the bow in playing on stringed instruments.
- n. In hatmaking, the act or process of separating and distributing the fur or hair by means of a bow, to prepare it for felting.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The operation of separating and arranging as desired the filaments of some fibrous material, as hatters' fur or (in Eastern countries) cotton, by vibrating a bow-string upon it.
- n. In music: The general method of using the bow in playing upon an instrument of the violin family.
- n. The method by which the notes of a given passage are distributed between up- and down-strokes of the bow.
- n. A lease of the dairy stock on a farm. See bower.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. managing the bow in playing a stringed instrument
- n. bending the head or body or knee as a sign of reverence or submission or shame or greeting
- adj. showing an excessively deferential manner
Sorry, no etymologies found.
But what you call bowing and scraping is the outer sign of discipline, and its absence means the absence of discipline.
Fourth, the President talks about transparency, but in bowing his head before right-wing members of the press who bring up the election results, he says nothing about the elections themselves and how bizarrely distorted they were by secret corporate spending enabled by a radically partisan Supreme Court.
I am wondering if all of that bowing is going to disturb all of the botox Pelosi has floating around in her face.
Before you clowns start saying that bowing is okay, name me one U. S President that has bowed to anyone.
They have become almost as bad as MSNBC in bowing to the left wing of the democratic party.
But politics being politics ........ the meak will lower their heads in bowing to the DNC.
I have $1 on Palin bowing out to spend more time with her family (shotgun wedding for her high school dropout daughter ya know) ... then Romney is moved in as the financial steady hand ... announcement by Oct 15 18
At the time, Gatewood Baptist Church was a ragged, tumbling wood frame structure with tilted steeple, sinking foundations, and loose planks bowing from the ceilingor in real estate jargon, a bona fide “fixer upper.”
MRS. RICH: This was furiously odd: to desert us only with the whim to show us airs in bowing when we meet.
"For some reason best known to yourselves," he addressed them in English, bowing graciously,