from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A stringed instrument played with a bow, having four strings tuned at intervals of a fifth, an unfretted fingerboard, and a shallower body than the viol and capable of great flexibility in range, tone, and dynamics.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A musical four-string instrument, generally played with a bow or by plucking the string. Pitch is set by pressing the strings at the appropriate place with the fingers.
- n. A violinist.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small instrument with four strings, played with a bow; a fiddle.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The modern form of the smaller medieval viola da braccio.
- n. A player on the violin; a violinist: as, the first violin of an orchestra.
- n. An emetic substance contained in all parts of the sweet-scented violet, Viola odorata. It has not been obtained pure, and is perhaps identical with emetin from ipecacuanha.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. bowed stringed instrument that is the highest member of the violin family; this instrument has four strings and a hollow body and an unfretted fingerboard and is played with a bow
"The mere fact I'm at an American university with the chance to learn whatever I want puts me in such a privileged group," says Bashore, a biochemistry major who also plays the violin, is learning Polish and helps raise start-up funds for a school for girls and women in Malawi, Africa.
And so it wasn't like I ever said oh, you know, violin is not my true love or is my true love.
The violin is an integral part of this musical group; one of the most best known violinists was Don Silvestre Vargas, founder of the world renowned Mariachi Vargas of Tecalitlan.
Modern sculpture of a mariachi musician in the Mariachi Museum in Cocula, Jalisco. The violin is an integral part of this musical group; one of the most best known violinists was Don Silvestre Vargas, founder of the world renowned Mariachi Vargas of Tecalitlan. © Gary West, 2010
Woolley had to reconstruct a missing part for the second violin from a similar Vivaldi work kept in Turin.
But at least for a moment we might consider a different point of view, which I believe to be Wordsworth's, according to which the blessing of verse as well as violin is precisely the ability to forget about money and the economic base of all relations — about "getting and spending," to quote from the 1807 Poems 'best known sonnet.
The violin is a type of string instrument that can be played by vibrating its four strings with a bow.
The magic violin is given to her and she is able to play it from the heart.
Campaign to get new students to enrol in violin classes.
(A fiddle and a violin are the same instrument so really I just started to call the violin I've had since I was sixteen a fiddle.)
Her voice was low and husky, a shock after Wanda's thin violin notes.