from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A farm implement consisting of a heavy blade at the end of a beam, usually hitched to a draft team or motor vehicle and used for breaking up soil and cutting furrows in preparation for sowing.
  • n. An implement of similar function, such as a snowplow.
  • transitive v. To break and turn over (earth) with a plow.
  • transitive v. To form (a furrow, for example) with a plow.
  • transitive v. To form furrows in with or as if with a plow: plow a field.
  • transitive v. To make or form with driving force: I plowed my way through the crowd.
  • transitive v. To cut through (water): plow the high seas.
  • intransitive v. To break and turn up earth with a plow.
  • intransitive v. To admit of plowing: Rocky earth plows poorly.
  • intransitive v. To move or progress with driving force: The attackers formed a wedge and plowed through the enemy line.
  • intransitive v. To proceed laboriously; plod: plowed through the backlog of work.
  • plow back To reinvest (earnings or profits) in one's business.
  • plow into Informal To strike with force.
  • plow into Informal To undertake (a task, for example) with eagerness and vigor.
  • plow under To cause to vanish under something piled up.
  • plow under To overwhelm, as with burdens.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. Alternative spelling of plough.
  • v. Alternative spelling of plough.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A well-known implement, drawn by horses, mules, oxen, or other power, for turning up the soil to prepare it for bearing crops; also used to furrow or break up the soil for other purposes
  • n. Fig.: Agriculture; husbandry.
  • n. A carucate of land; a plowland.
  • n. A joiner's plane for making grooves; a grooving plane.
  • n. An implement for trimming or shaving off the edges of books.
  • n. Same as Charles's Wain.
  • intransitive v. To labor with, or as with, a plow; to till or turn up the soil with a plow; to prepare the soil or bed for anything.
  • transitive v. To turn up, break up, or trench, with a plow; to till with, or as with, a plow
  • transitive v. To furrow; to make furrows, grooves, or ridges in; to run through, as in sailing.
  • transitive v. To trim, or shave off the edges of, as a book or paper, with a plow. See Plow, n., 5.
  • transitive v. To cut a groove in, as in a plank, or the edge of a board; especially, a rectangular groove to receive the end of a shelf or tread, the edge of a panel, a tongue, etc.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To turn up with a plow; till.
  • To make furrows, grooves, or ridges in, as with a plow; furrow; figuratively, to move through like a plow; make one's way through.
  • To effect as with a plow; traverse like a plow.
  • To trim or square, as the edges of paper, with a plow. See plow, n., 3 .
  • To cut or gash (a fish) with the plow or rimmer.
  • To reject, as a candidate in an examination; pluck.
  • To turn up the soil with a plow; till the soil with a plow.
  • In carpentry, to groove the edge of (a board) in tonguing and grooving.
  • To turn over (grain) in malting, so as to expose fresh surfaces to the air and equalize temperature.
  • n. An agri cultural implement, drawn by animals or moved by steam-power, used to cut the ground and turn it up so as to prepare it for the reception of seeds.
  • n. Figuratively, tillage; culture of the earth; agriculture.
  • n. A tool that furrows, grooves, planes, cuts, or otherwise acts by pushing or shoving, like a plow, , , ,
  • n. A plowland.
  • n. A plow which can be adjusted to turn a furrow either to the right or to the left. Also called drillplow, reversible plow, and turningmold-board plow.
  • n. A plow having a wheel in the space between the land-side and the mold-board, reducing the friction of the plow by bearing the weight. E. H. Knight. (See also balance-plow, ice-plow, prairie-plow, snow-plow, sodplow.)
  • n.
  • n. An arm and wooden mold-board, shod with leather, two of which in a gunpowder-incorporating mill serve to draw the mixture of niter, sulphur, and charcoal into the track of the heavy edge-runners.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a farm tool having one or more heavy blades to break the soil and cut a furrow prior to sowing
  • v. to break and turn over earth especially with a plow
  • v. move in a way resembling that of a plow cutting into or going through the soil
  • v. act on verbally or in some form of artistic expression


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

Middle English plough, plouw, from Old English plōh, plōg, plow, plowland.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

See plough



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • UK = plough

    July 19, 2008

  • The humus stood dark and heavy over them once; the plow was its doom. Wendell Berry "A Native Hill"

    July 19, 2008