from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • transitive v. To cut off the edge or corner of; bevel.
  • transitive v. To cut a groove in; flute.
  • n. A flat surface made by cutting off the edge or corner of a block of wood or other material.
  • n. A furrow or groove, as in a column.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. an obtuse-angled relief or cut at an edge added for a finished appearance and to break sharp edges
  • v. to cut off the edge or corner of something; to bevel
  • v. to cut a groove in something; to flute

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. The surface formed by cutting away the arris, or angle, formed by two faces of a piece of timber, stone, etc.
  • transitive v. To cut a furrow in, as in a column; to groove; to channel; to flute.
  • transitive v. To make a chamfer on.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • In carpentry, to cut a furrow in; flute; channel.—2. To cut or grind in a sloping manner, as the edge of anything square, so as to form a bevel.
  • n. In carpentry, a groove or furrow.
  • n. A bevel or slope; the corner of anything originally rightangled cut away so as to make an angle with the sides which form it. Also chamfering.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. two surfaces meeting at an angle different from 90 degrees
  • v. cut a furrow into a columns
  • v. cut a bevel on; shape to a bevel


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

Probably back-formation from chamfering, from French chanfrein, bevelled edge, from past participle of Old French chanfreindre, to bevel : chant, edge (from Latin canthus, iron tire; see cant1) + fraindre, to break (from Latin frangere; see bhreg- in Indo-European roots).



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Often found in National and State forests. More common in summer. Variable number of sleeping accommodations.

    July 20, 2012

  • "A beveled face formed by cutting off a corner of stone or timber." (Pretty much the same definition as is already listed here, but this one penetrated my tiny brain faster. :) )

    August 24, 2008

  • Thanks for the info (and the new word), fearraigh. :-)

    February 23, 2007

  • Made by planing, or chiselling off an arris

    February 23, 2007

  • A cut made in wood or other material at a 45° angle to the adjacent faces

    February 9, 2007