from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun A long, narrow, shallow trench made in the ground by a plow.
  • noun A rut, groove, or narrow depression.
  • noun A deep wrinkle in the skin, as on the forehead.
  • intransitive verb To make long, narrow, shallow trenches in; plow.
  • intransitive verb To form grooves or deep wrinkles in.
  • intransitive verb To become furrowed or wrinkled.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • To cut a furrow in; make furrows in; plow.
  • To make narrow channels or grooves in; mark with or as with wrinkles.
  • noun A trench in the earth, especially that made by a plow.
  • noun A narrow trench or channel, as in wood or metal, or in a millstone; a groove; a wrinkle.
  • noun Specifically In zoology, a sulcus or wide groove, generally rounded at the bottom, and extending longitudinally on the animal or part; one of the spaces between costal or longitudinal ridges.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun A trench in the earth made by, or as by, a plow.
  • noun Any trench, channel, or groove, as in wood or metal; a wrinkle on the face.
  • noun a weed which grows on plowed land.
  • noun to live correctly; not to deviate from the right line of duty.
  • transitive verb To cut a furrow in; to make furrows in; to plow.
  • transitive verb To mark with channels or with wrinkles.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun A trench cut in the soil, as when plowed in order to plant a crop.
  • noun A deep wrinkle in the skin of the face, especially on someone's forehead.
  • verb transitive To make (a) groove, a cut(s) in (the ground etc.).
  • verb transitive To wrinkle
  • verb transitive To pull one's brows or eyebrows together due to worry, concentration etc.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a long shallow trench in the ground (especially one made by a plow)
  • verb cut a furrow into a columns
  • noun a slight depression in the smoothness of a surface
  • verb make wrinkled or creased
  • verb hollow out in the form of a furrow or groove


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

[Middle English forwe, from Old English furh.]

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From Middle English furgh, forow, from Old English furh, from Proto-Germanic *furhō (cf. East Frisian fuurge, Dutch vore, German Furche, Swedish fåra), from Proto-Indo-European *pork̑os (cf. Welsh rhych ‘furrow’, Latin porca ‘lynchet’, Lithuanian prapar̃šas ‘ditch’, Sanskrit párśānas ‘chasm’).


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word furrow.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • A Wordnet haiku:

    a long shallow trench

    cut a furrow into columns

    make wrinkled or creased

    July 10, 2012

  • *added*


    July 10, 2012