from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • noun One that binds, especially a bookbinder.
  • noun Something, such as a cord, used to bind.
  • noun A notebook cover with rings or clamps for holding sheets of paper.
  • noun Something, such as the latex in certain paints, that creates uniform consistency, solidification, or cohesion.
  • noun A machine that reaps and ties grain.
  • noun An attachment on a reaping machine that ties grain in bundles.
  • noun A payment or written statement making an agreement legally binding until the completion of a formal insurance contract.
  • noun An agreement specifying the terms and conditions of a real estate transaction.
  • noun Ecology A plant, such as a ground cover, whose growth retards erosion.

from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A person who binds. Specifically— One who binds books; a bookbinder.
  • noun One who binds sheaves.
  • noun Anything that binds, in any sense of that verb.
  • noun In bricklaying, a header which extends partly through a wall; a bonder.
  • noun In carpentry, a tie-beam; a binding-joist serving as a transverse support for the bridging-joists above and the ceiling-joists below.
  • noun An attachment to a sewing-machine for folding an edge or a binding.
  • noun In agriculture: An attachment to a reaper for tying the bundles of grain.
  • noun A separate horse-power machine for gathering up and binding grain already cut.
  • noun An arrester or stop for the shuttle of a loom.
  • noun A temporary cover for loose sheets of music, papers, etc.
  • noun plural Same as binding, 4.
  • noun In lumbering, a springy pole used to tighten a binding-chain. Also called a jim-binder.
  • noun In machinery, a crank-shaft journal-box or bearing on an engine.
  • noun In obstetrics, a broad cloth band applied snugly to the abdomen after the termination of labor.
  • noun A firm leaf inclosing the filler in a cigar and itself surrounded by the wrapper. It grades, in market value, below the wrapper and above the filler.
  • noun Indurated argillaceous shales or clay very commonly forming the roof of a coal-seam and frequently containing clay ironstone.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun One who binds; ; one whose trade is to bind.
  • noun Anything that binds, as a fillet, cord, rope, or band; a bandage; -- esp. the principal piece of timber intended to bind together any building.
  • noun a pair of stiff oblong covers, sometimes detachable, designed for insertion of paper pages to create a book-like document, such as in a loose-leaf binder.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun Someone who binds, particularly someone who binds books; a bookbinder.
  • noun A cover or holder for unbound papers, pages etc.
  • noun Something that is used to bind things together, often referring to the mechanism that accomplishes this for a book.
  • noun programming A software mechanism that performs binding.
  • noun A dossier.
  • noun agriculture A machine used in harvesting that ties cut stalks of grain into a bundle.
  • noun chemistry A chemical that causes two other substances to form into one.
  • noun law A down payment on a piece of real property that secures the payor the right to purchase the property from the payee upon an agreement of terms.
  • noun Chiefly Minnesota A rubber band.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun a machine that cuts grain and binds it in sheaves
  • noun something used to bind separate particles together or facilitate adhesion to a surface
  • noun holds loose papers or magazines
  • noun something used to tie or bind


from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

bind +‎ -er


Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word binder.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • "Dimmeys women's underwear was a secret domain, staffed by women who fitted you for bras. Staff sent cash to the office by air tube.

    Women would buy pieces of cloth called binders to wrap a baby's umbilical cord, and calico to boil a Christmas pudding in."

    - Carolyn Webb, End of an era for century-old Richmond landmark,, 28 Dec 2012.

    December 28, 2012