from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

  • A trademark for an adhesive bandage with a gauze pad in the center, employed to protect minor wounds. This trademark sometimes occurs in print in figurative uses.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • noun trademark An adhesive bandage, composed of a short ribbon of cloth or plastic with an adhesive coating on one side, and having a patch of gauze at the center. It is used to cover small cuts, abrasions, or blisters on the skin, and may be easily applied to and removed from the skin with no additional material. Originally a trademark, the term has been popularly used generically.
  • noun A hurried repair; a temporary fix for a minor problem.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • noun trade name for an adhesive bandage to cover small cuts or blisters
  • noun hurried repair


Sorry, no etymologies found.


    Sorry, no example sentences found.


Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • For IrE, use plaster instead.

    March 31, 2011