from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun Something securely fixed in place.
- noun Something attached as a permanent appendage, apparatus, or appliance.
- noun Law An item of personal property that is physically attached to a property and becomes part of it, as a machine that is installed.
- noun One that is invariably present in and long associated with a place.
- noun The act or process of fixing.
- noun The condition of being fixed.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A fixing, planting, or placing.
- noun Fixedness; steadfastness.
- noun A fixed or appointed time or event; a definite arrangement; an appointment: especially used with reference to sports.
- noun Anything placed in a firm or fixed position; something fixed and not intended to be removed; specifically, that which is fixed to a building; any appendage or part of the furniture of a house which is fixed to it, as by nails, screws, etc.: as, gas-fixtures.
- noun In law, a personal chattel annexed or fastened to real property.
- noun A person who or a thing which holds a fixed place or position; one who or a thing which remains so long in one position as to seem immovable.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun That which is fixed or attached to something as a permanent appendage
- noun State of being fixed; fixedness.
- noun (Law) Anything of an accessory character annexed to houses and lands, so as to constitute a part of them. This term is, however, quite frequently used in the peculiar sense of personal chattels annexed to lands and tenements, but removable by the person annexing them, or his personal representatives. In this latter sense, the same things may be
fixturesunder some circumstances, and not fixturesunder others.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun law Something that is
fixedin place, especially a permanent applianceor other item of personal propertythat is considered part of a house and is sold with it.
- noun A
regular patronof a place or institution.
- noun A
lighting unit; a luminaire.
- noun sports A
- noun computing, programming A
statethat can be recreated, used as a baselinefor running software tests.
- noun A work-holding or
support deviceused in the manufacturingindustry.
- verb To furnish with, as, or in a fixture
- verb sports, Australia, New Zealand To
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun an object firmly fixed in place (especially in a household)
- noun the act of putting something in working order again
- noun a regular patron
- noun the quality of being fixed in place as by some firm attachment
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Fitting the role of a changing table, a sink, a tub and a storage cabinet this one fixture is can meet the needs of any family for their entire lives. – via
Any contractor who installed that fixture is an idiot.
The star fixture is antique leaded glass that Ms. Foley said was inspired by the home 's stained glass windows.
The Pharox 60 fits a standard sized household light fixture, is made of recyclable material, and is the most energy efficient bulb of comparable light quality on the market today with a light output of 300 lumens and a warm white light of 3000K.
Even if manufacturing growth becomes a long-term fixture, it still may not offer a significant boost.
The Wizards certainly didn't acquire Lewis to be a long-term fixture, with the team trying to build a young nucleus around rookie John Wall.
Manufactured from sheet material, Corian or metal, the bathroom fixture is not only light in weight but also retains strength, while being elegant as it comes in the shape of a petal, giving a natural look to the interior of your place.
Each fixture is original and handmade, and incorporates every piece of collected plastic into the design.
The plain light fixture is placed in a flower pot which is then filled with soil before the ivy is planted.
The faucets are in, the light fixture is in place (albeit the wrong place right now), and the toliet has been removed.