from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Nautical The system of ropes, chains, and tackle used to support and control the masts, sails, and yards of a sailing vessel.
- n. The supporting material for construction work.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The system of ropes, chains, and tackle used to support and control the masts, sails, and yards of a ship
- n. Similar supporting material for construction work
- v. Present participle of rig.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Dress; tackle; especially (Naut.), the ropes, chains, etc., that support the masts and spars of a vessel, and serve as purchases for adjusting the sails, etc. See Illustr. of ship and sails.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A ridge, as of a house; also, a roof.
- n. The ropes, chains, etc., which are employed to support and work all masts, yards, sails, etc., in a ship; tackle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. formation of masts, spars, sails, etc., on a vessel
- n. gear consisting of ropes etc. supporting a ship's masts and sails
Sorry, no etymologies found.
I have collected them and will begin rigging a trap for Dr. Alfieri and his colleagues.
To look at them crawling about on deck or in the rigging is enough.
Dream mine, and proved of utmost usefulness in rigging the great ore - cables across the river and two hundred feet above its surface.
I started to rush below to the flag-locker, then remembered that in rigging the Ghost.
Then Lerumie took to the main rigging, leaving Jerry impotently to rage on the deck beneath him.
I was at the main rigging, looking to see if any more rain threatened.
They followed his gaze, which passed across them to the main rigging, and saw what he saw, a brown hand and arm, muscular and wet, being joined from overside by a second brown hand and arm.
Election rigging is part of the US political tradition.
Her rigging is something queer, and the next sharp squall will bring her head-gear all about the shop.
Decker sends a young man aloft to tar down the main rigging but when the tar pot is untied, it drops on Decker's head.