from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A plot or scheme intended to subvert another plot.
- n. See subplot.
- intransitive v. To oppose or subvert one plot with another.
- transitive v. To plot against; thwart with a counterplot.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A plot made in opposition to another; a counterploy.
- v. To form a plot or plan in opposition to the actions of another.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To oppose, as another plot, by plotting; to attempt to frustrate, as a stratagem, by stratagem.
- n. A plot or artifice opposed to another.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To oppose or frustrate by another plot or stratagem.
- n. A plot or artifice advanced in opposition to another.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make a plot in response to another plot
- n. a plot intended to subvert another plot
And as I watch yet another hour of portentous posturing, as Anna blabs on about "the magnitude of what is coming" while the rebels of the Fifth Column counterplot against them, I can't help also wonder what in the world the V's are waiting for.
It was warfare dark and devious, replete with intrigue and conspiracy, plot and counterplot.
As the mysterious Unwritten cabal set their own counterplot in motion to stop him, Tom arrives at the Swiss villa where Frankenstein was conceived and witnesses a terrifying vision!
When Zeus had snatched him from the lightning's blaze, and to Olympus borne the tender babe, Hera would have cast him forth from heaven, but Zeus, as such a god well might, devised a counterplot.
Myra, always imagining stories that she might use as plays, concocts a counterplot.
On the strength of these profound views, he in the most ingenious manner takes infinite pains to counterplot when there is no plot, and plays the deepest games of chess without any adversary.
But perhaps I shall find out a smuggler to counterplot Miss Howe.
And now there was more reason than ever to believe that Fidel Castro had instigated a counterplot in retaliation for attempts on his life.
VINCI (on camera): There isn't a plot inside the Vatican to prepare a counterplot to what Dan Brown is saying?
But who can resist his ability to make the extremely implausible sound plausible, and the successful portrayal of Byzantine-style plot and counterplot?