from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A close-fitting undergarment, often reinforced by stays, worn to support and shape the waistline, hips, and breasts.
- noun A medieval outer garment, especially a laced jacket or bodice.
- transitive verb To enclose in or as if in a corset.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To inclose in a corset.
- noun In the middle ages, a close-fitting body-garment.
- noun A similar garment stuffed and quilted to form a garment of fence; a piece of armor, similar to the gambeson, worn by crossbowmen and foot-soldiers about 1475.
- noun A shaped, close-fitting body or waist, usually made of quilted satin jean, stiffened by strips of steel or whalebone, and so designed as to admit of tightening by lacing, worn chiefly by women to give shape and support to the figure; stays. Often in plural, corsets.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun In the Middle Ages, a gown or basque of which the body was close fitting, worn by both men and women.
- noun An article of dress inclosing the chest and waist worn (chiefly by women) to support the body or to modify its shape; stays.
- transitive verb To inclose in corsets.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A
woman's foundation garment, reinforced with stays, that supports the waistline, hipsand bust.
- verb transitive To
enclosein a corset; to weara corset.
- verb figuratively To
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun a woman's close-fitting foundation garment
- verb dress with a corset
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
I mean, seriously -- a duck in a corset is a duck with its wings bound to its sides and its feet smooshed to its belly.
But a real custom made overbust corset is an expensive thing.
A corset is not sexy principally because it emphasizes a woman's secondary sexual characteristics.
A corset is sexy because it emphasizes the differences between a woman and a man -- where "man" should be read in the deprecated meaning of "human being."
THe corset is often blamed for causing the death of every Victorian woman that ever lived, but not everyone wore them.
The corset is by Mayfaire Moon, and the hat is by ViolentBelle.
Maybe they are so angry because their corset is too tight, or was not fitted right.
50 Mrs. Trollope, writing in 1832, tells of a young German gentleman of perfectly good manners who offended one of the principal families by having pronounced the word corset before the ladies of it.
A young German gentleman of perfectly good manners, once came to me greatly chagrined at having offended one of the principal families in the neighbourhood, by having pronounced the word corset before the ladies of it.
Before that, there was the horribly uncomfortable and unhealthy corset, also invented by a woman (the invention of the corset is attributed to Catherine de Médicis, wife of King Henri II of France.