from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The process of increasing in number, size, quantity, or extent.
- n. Something added or gained: a force swelled by increments from allied armies.
- n. A slight, often barely perceptible augmentation.
- n. One of a series of regular additions or contributions: accumulating a fund by increments.
- n. Mathematics A small positive or negative change in the value of a variable.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The action of increasing or becoming greater.
- n. The waxing of the moon.
- n. The amount of increase.
- v. To increase by steps or by a step, especially by one.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or process of increasing; growth in bulk, guantity, number, value, or amount; augmentation; enlargement.
- n. Matter added; increase; produce; production; -- opposed to
- n. The increase of a variable quantity or fraction from its present value to its next ascending value; the finite quantity, generally variable, by which a variable quantity is increased.
- n. An amplification without strict climax
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act or process of increasing; a growing or swelling in bulk, quantity, number, value, or amount; augmentation.
- n. Something added; an increase or augmentation; specifically, in mathematics, the excess (positive or negative) of the value which a function would have if its independent variable were increased by any amount, especially by unity, over the value which it has for any particular value of the variable; the difference of a function; also, an arbitrary supposed increase of an independent variable.
- n. In rhetoric, a species of amplification which consists in magnifying the importance of a subject (person or thing) by stating or implying that it has no superior, or that the greatest of all others is inferior to it: as, Thou hast slain thy mother. What more can I say? Thou hast slain thy mother.
- n. In Latin grammar, a syllable in another form of a word additional to the number of syllables in the nominative singular of a noun, adjective, etc., or the second person singular of the present indicative active of a verb.
- n. In heraldry, the state of the moon when crescent: as, the moon in her increment.
- n. In forestry, the volume or value of wood produced during a given period by the growth of a tree or of a stand. See accretion, 5.
- n. A uniform variation; a regular increase.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the amount by which something increases
- n. a process of becoming larger or longer or more numerous or more important
However, if we look at a person's lifestyle choices in increment values, increased precaution that may delay or prevent doctor visits (doctor visits that are mainly picked up by a third party), rather than premature death or a delibetating illness, the incentive to take care of oneself will be less if the true cost of health care is not completely realized by the patient.
Breaking down costs to the smallest possible time increment is a financial trick used by not only government, but corporations.
(The increment is to ensure the price moves up in quanta larger than a penny.)
We bump it up by another 5% after five years so that the Y6 increment is 15% - then by Y10 they're up to 291% of base Grade 12 (K-12), I see the definition as:
We bump it up by another 5% after five years so that the Y6 increment is 15% - then by Y10 they're up to 291% of base
An increment is simply A+0 with carry set, and a decrement is A-0 with carry reset (borrow set).
On average, each increment is 20MB, so 90 days worth only adds 1. 8GB or so to the total backup.
They’re handy enough, but the volume increment is pretty large.
MdS then sought and was awarded state legislature approval of up to $500 million in increment tax capture of the state’s tax portion.
G − (G' − B '), namely the increment in the value of the entrepreneur's equipment beyond the net value which he has inherited from the previous period, represents the entrepreneur's current investment in his equipment and can be written I.