from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The state of being swollen.
- noun Something swollen, especially an abnormally swollen body part or area.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Grand; pompous; inflated; bombastic: as, swelling words.
- noun A tumor, or any morbid enlargement: as, a swelling on the hand or leg.
- noun A protuberance; a prominence.
- noun A rising or inflation, as by passion or other powerful emotion: as, the swellings of anger, grief, or pride.
- noun The state of being puffed up; arrogance; pride.
- noun An overflow; an inundation.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The act of that which swells
- noun (Med.) A protuberance; a prominence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The state of being
- noun Anything swollen, especially any
abnormallyswollen part of the body.
- verb Present participle of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the increase in volume of certain substances when they are heated (often accompanied by release of water)
- noun something that bulges out or is protuberant or projects from its surroundings
- noun an abnormal protuberance or localized enlargement
Sorry, no etymologies found.
If I see a swelling following a bug bite (if a swelling is anything bigger than normally), I should give my son a prescribed dose of both medicines immediately.
` ` These kind of injuries, you always wait until the next day and see how the swelling is and just see how he reacts from it. ''
The Tdap vaccine was developed to combat both the high rate of swelling from the diphtheria vaccine and the waning immunity to pertussis; it was introduced in 2006 and is now recommended for all adolescents and adults the next time they are getting their booster.
“The twin swelling heads of Empire and Oligarchy are driving our country into an ever-deepening corporate state, wholly incompatible with democracy and the rule of law.”
If the small swelling is not going down, I should increase the dose (she wrote the daily maximum).
Burns to the lips or mouth may result in swelling of the lips and white, patchy areas inside the mouth.
I've had ice on it off and on all morning and the swelling is down to half of what it was earlier.
You could add ribbing, especially if his foot swelling is not always the same.
The reaction of tissues to irritants or injury, resulting in swelling, pain, redness or heat.
He's back on sedation to rest and minimize brain swelling, his mother Barbara said, according to ESPN.