from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The process by which an organism produces others of its kind; breeding, propagation, procreation, reproduction.
- n. The act of increasing or rising; augmentation, amplification, enlargement, escalation, aggrandizement.
- n. The result of building up; buildup, accretion.
- n. The spread of biochemical, nuclear and other weapons of mass destruction to countries not originally involved in developing them.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The continuous development of cells in tissue formation; cell formation.
- n. The production of numerous zooids by budding, especially when buds arise from other buds in succession.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In zoology, the origination and development of generative zoöids, as in the formation of medusa-buds (planoblasts or hedrioblasts) by a polyp. See planoblast.
- n. In botany, same as prolification.
- n. Increase in size by reproduction of the primary elements.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. growth by the rapid multiplication of parts
- n. a rapid increase in number (especially a rapid increase in the number of deadly weapons)
I personally do whatever I can to avoid having to pronounce the word proliferation.
I mean, one threat, of course, is a proliferation threat, which we're dealing with through what we call the proliferation security initiative, which is a group of nations that say, "We're not going to allow this country to proliferate."
The NP delegation also expressed concern at what it called a proliferation of human rights institutions with no co-ordination mechanisms.
"The generation of new neurons, what we call proliferation, occurs prenatally during the second trimester," said Romanski, who was not involved in the study.
The Mungle furniture range is the product of a digital design technique that incorporates simple elements, which, in proliferation, are able to articulate more complex overall geometries.
Designed by the Greek designer Dimitrios Tsigos the Mungle Office Desk is the product of a digital design technique that incorporates simple elements, which, in proliferation, are able to articulate more complex overall geometries.
The proliferation is part of the nation's widespread move toward sustainable food production.
Yes dear, a legal treaty vis-a-vis nuclear proliferation is SUCH a SILLY thing.
Russia has a belief that the only way to react to nuclear weapons proliferation is to have significantly stronger forces, that would be able to blow an unacceptable damage to any party that will dare.
What's more, security experts report a big spike in proliferation of sophisticated banking trojans -- tools cyber thieves use to siphon cash from online bank accounts.