from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The process of transferring heat from an object in order to cool it.
- n. The process of preserving something by cooling.
- n. The cooling of the body for therapeutic purposes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act or process of refrigerating or cooling, or the state of being cooled.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of refrigerating or cooling; the abatement of heat; the state of being cooled.
- n. Specifically The operation of cooling various substances by artificial processes.
- n. In a broader sense, a process of refrigeration in which the cycle of heat-changes is only partly produced by mechanical action, as in compression ice-machines using anhydrous ammonia, wherein the cooling of the vapor takes place entirely during the formation from the liquid, and is caused by absorption of the latent heat of vaporization from the sensible heat of the substance, the mechanical part of the process being wholly confined to compressing the ammonia-vapor while liquefying it under the action of cold and pressure. Such machines are the most effective and the most extensively used.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the process of cooling or freezing (e.g., food) for preservative purposes
- n. deliberately lowering the body's temperature for therapeutic purposes
Sorry, no etymologies found.
My uncle is in refrigeration and does well enough to own a building and rent out apartments.
We are investing in refrigeration, strengthening the supply systems and logistics, and training workers to deliver these vaccines.
The refrigeration is important to enhance the flaky texture of the crust.
You have to open the can, you have to make sure the refrigeration is exactly perfect.
Its depletion is caused by extreme cold temperatures at high altitude and a particular type of pollution, from chemicals often used in refrigeration, some plastic foams, or aerosol sprays, which have accumulated in the atmosphere.
Engineers at the University of Florida have built a system that can provide power, water and refrigeration from a single unit.
BARRY: If the word refrigeration appears in the colleges name that is a good college.
Serious damage has been done to the earth's ozone layer by chemicals such as those used in refrigeration, air conditioning and sterilization of medical equipment.
Champagne needn’t be kept in the fridge I don’t think long term refrigeration benefits it.
But the best of all would be organic lard requiring refrigeration, which is difficult to find.