from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The act of representing or the state of being represented.
- n. Something that represents, as:
- n. An image or likeness of something.
- n. An account or statement, as of facts, allegations, or arguments.
- n. An expostulation; a protest.
- n. A presentation or production, as of a play.
- n. The state or condition of serving as an official delegate, agent, or spokesperson.
- n. The right or privilege of being represented by delegates having a voice in a legislative body.
- n. A body of legislators that serve on behalf of a constituency.
- n. Law A statement of fact made by one party in order to induce another party to enter into a contract.
- n. Mathematics A homomorphism from an algebraic system to a similar system of matrices.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. That which represents another.
- n. The lawyers and staff who argue on behalf of another in court.
- n. The ability to elect a representative to speak on one's behalf in government; the role of this representative in government.
- n. An object that describes an abstract group in terms of linear transformations of vector spaces.
- n. A figure, image or idea that substitutes reality.
- n. A theatrical performance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of representing, in any sense of the verb.
- n. That which represents.
- n. A likeness, a picture, or a model.
- n. A dramatic performance
- n. A description or statement.
- n. The body of those who act as representatives of a community or society.
- n. Any collateral statement of fact, made orally or in writing, by which an estimate of the risk is affected, or either party is influenced.
- n. The state of being represented.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of presenting again.
- n. The act of presenting to the mind or the view; the act of portraying, depicting, or exhibiting, as in imagination, in a picture, or on the stage; portrayal.
- n. The image, picture, or scene presented, depicted, or exhibited.
- n. A statement or an assertion made in regard to some matter or circumstance; a verbal description or statement: as, to obtain money by false representations.
- n. An expostulatory statement of facts, arguments, or the like; remonstrance.
- n. In psychology, the word chiefly used to translate the German Vorstellung, used in that language to translate the English word idea. See idea, 2 and 3.
- n. A singular conception; a thought or idea of something as having a definite place in space at a definite epoch in time; the image of an object produced in consciousness.
- n. A representative cognition; a mediate or vicarious cognition.
- n. In law: The standing in the place of another, as an heir, or in the right of taking by inheritance; the personating of another, as an heir, executor, or administrator.
- n. More specifically, the coming in of children of a deceased heir apparent, devisee dying before the testator, etc., to take the share their parent would have taken had he survived, not as succeeding as the heirs of the parent, but as together representing him among the other heirs of the ancestor. See representative, n., 3.
- n. Share or participation, as in legislation, deliberation, management, etc., by means of regularly chosen or appointed delegates; or, the system by which communities have a voice in the direction of their own affairs, and in the making of their own laws, by means of chosen delegates: as, parliamentary representation.
- n. A representative or delegate, or a number of representatives collectively.
- n. Synonyms Show; delineation, portraiture, likeness, resemblance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a factual statement made by one party in order to induce another party to enter into a contract
- n. a presentation to the mind in the form of an idea or image
- n. a body of legislators that serve in behalf of some constituency
- n. the right of being represented by delegates who have a voice in some legislative body
- n. the state of serving as an official and authorized delegate or agent
- n. a creation that is a visual or tangible rendering of someone or something
- n. a statement of facts and reasons made in appealing or protesting
- n. the act of representing; standing in for someone or some group and speaking with authority in their behalf
- n. an activity that stands as an equivalent of something or results in an equivalent
- n. a performance of a play
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Some of these gentlemen who have attacked the House of Commons lean to a representation of the people by the head, -- that is, to _individual representation_.
I may be the only woman on the face of the earth that thinks that this representation is actually cuter than Rob Pattinson.
For example, the mathematician J.M.G. Fell adopted Wigner's notion that the irreducibility of a representation is the defining characteristic of an elementary particle representation, and argued that the ensuing group action is "essentially" transitive upon the state space of such a representation.
We know that the representation is an artifice, that the events described "have not happened", but for the sake of the narrative we suspend our disbelief.
He desires the "real" that the painting represents even as he acknowledges that the representation is a "fiction," an unreality most likely superior to flesh and blood.
You guysyou need to be pushing for much more comprehensive reform than this, a modern democracy that allows 20% of the population to elect their representation is a travesty.
This representation is attempted with rigorous poetic measures extraneous to science and with words whose sounds are predetermined.
The cartoons are kind to us – thus far – and in representing Canada, draw a sturdy young fellow, strong and well set, full of muscle and vim, and we like to think that the representation is a good one, for we are a young nation, coming into our vigor, and with our future in our own hands.
The great body of the representation is a model of human perfection: but be distrustful of intriguers, and let the proper line of distinction be marked out on the present occasion.
As previously reported, the record also has some label representation over across the pond, and will be released via UK indie