from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A work consisting of three painted or carved panels that are hinged together.
- n. A hinged writing tablet consisting of three leaves, used in ancient Rome.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A picture or series of pictures painted on three tablets connected by hinges.
- n. A set of three se-tenant postage stamps that form a composite picture.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A writing tablet in three parts, two of which fold over on the middle part.
- n. A picture or altarpiece in three compartments.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A picture, carving, or other representation in three compartments side by side: most frequently used for an altar-piece.
- n. A series of writing-tablets, three in number, hinged or tied together.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. art consisting of a painting or carving (especially an altarpiece) on three panels (usually hinged together)
The word triptych came from Greek, meaning threefold.
Probably the coolest feature of the DVD is the option to watch the film in triptych form, with three takes of the same scenes playing simultaneously.
The elegant main altarpiece or retablo, a large triptych, is thought to be the oldest surviving work of its kind in Mexico.
By 2000, she says, she wanted to divide her life into a "triptych" -- participating in cultural institutions, performing charitable service and earning "my money for eating bread."
The triptych was the one her father had stolen from Sean.
The other was a medieval triptych, which is a fancy word for a carving set into three folding panels.
The triptych is the highlight of MOMA's latest installment of "Collaborations in the Collection," an ongoing series that highlights film partnerships.
Reasons include the fact that a triptych is a type of artwork a painting composed of three sections, that there are three of us and that we cover three disciplines: print, web, programming.
Between the two tablets others were sometimes inserted and the diptych would then be called a triptych, polyptych, etc.
The triptych is a unique performance painting, documenting a specific zero gravity experience as well as further developing the key elements of painting which Azam continues to explore in his work; colour, movement and line.