from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • transitive v. To cover or smear with a soft adhesive substance such as plaster, grease, or mud.
  • transitive v. To apply paint to (a surface) with hasty or crude strokes.
  • transitive v. To apply with quick or crude strokes: daubed glue on the paper.
  • intransitive v. To apply paint or coloring with crude, unskillful strokes.
  • intransitive v. To make crude or amateurish paintings.
  • intransitive v. To daub a sticky material.
  • n. The act or a stroke of daubing.
  • n. A soft adhesive coating material such as plaster, grease, or mud.
  • n. Matter daubed on.
  • n. A crude, amateurish painting or picture.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. Excrement or clay used as a bonding material in construction (compare wattle and daub).
  • n. A soft coating of mud, plaster, etc.
  • n. A crude or amateurish painting.
  • v. To apply something to a surface in hasty or crude strokes.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A viscous, sticky application; a spot smeared or daubed; a smear.
  • n. A picture coarsely executed.
  • intransitive v. To smear; to play the flatterer.
  • transitive v. To smear with soft, adhesive matter, as pitch, slime, mud, etc.; to plaster; to bedaub; to besmear.
  • transitive v. To paint in a coarse or unskillful manner.
  • transitive v. To cover with a specious or deceitful exterior; to disguise; to conceal.
  • transitive v. To flatter excessively or glossy.
  • transitive v. To put on without taste; to deck gaudily.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To smear with soft adhesive matter; plaster; cover or coat with mud, slime, or other soft substance.
  • To soil; defile; besmear.
  • Hence To paint ignorantly, coarsely, or badly.
  • To give a specious appearance to; patch up; disguise; conceal.
  • To dress or adorn without taste; deck vulgarly or ostentatiously; load as with finery.
  • n. A cheap kind of mortar; plaster made of mud.
  • n. A viscous, adhesive application; a smear.
  • n. A daubing or smearing stroke.
  • n. A coarse, inartistic painting.
  • n. In coloring enameled leather, a thick black substance put on as a first coat to fill the surface in preparation for the final coloring.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • v. cover (a surface) by smearing (a substance) over it
  • v. apply to a surface
  • n. an unskillful painting
  • v. coat with plaster
  • n. a blemish made by dirt
  • n. material used to daub walls


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

Middle English dauben, from Old French dauber, from Latin dēalbāre, to whitewash : dē-, intensive pref.; see de- + albus, white; see albho- in Indo-European roots.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

From Old French dauber ("whitewash")



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • In architecture, mud coating-like plaster on a panel.

    August 25, 2008