from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- transitive verb To depict or represent pictorially; make a picture of.
- transitive verb To describe or represent in words.
- transitive verb To describe or depict in a certain way.
- transitive verb To represent dramatically, as on the stage.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To depict; reproduce the lineaments of; draw or paint to the life.
- To depict or describe vividly in words; describe graphically or vividly.
- To adorn with pictures or portraits.
- Synonyms and To delineate, sketch, represent.
- To paint.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb To paint or draw the likeness of.
- transitive verb Hence, figuratively, to describe in words.
- transitive verb rare To adorn with pictures.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb To
paintor drawthe likeness of.
- verb figuratively To
describein words; to convey.
- verb To play a
role; to depicta characteror person.
- verb To
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb make a portrait of
- verb represent abstractly, for example in a painting, drawing, or sculpture
- verb assume or act the character of
- verb portray in words
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[Middle English portraien, from Old French portraire : por-, forth (from Latin prō-, forth; see pro–) + traire, to draw (from Latin trahere, to drag).]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Middle French portraire.
Sorry, no example sentences found.