from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A liquid mixture, usually of a solid pigment in a liquid vehicle, used as a decorative or protective coating.
- n. The thin dry film formed by such a mixture when applied to a surface.
- n. The solid pigment before it is mixed with a vehicle.
- n. A cosmetic, such as rouge, that is used to give color to the face; makeup.
- n. See pinto.
- transitive v. To make (a picture) with paints.
- transitive v. To represent in a picture with paints.
- transitive v. To depict vividly in words.
- transitive v. To coat or decorate with paint: paint a house.
- transitive v. To apply cosmetics to.
- transitive v. To apply medicine to; swab: paint a wound.
- transitive v. To shine a laser beam on, especially in order to designate a target for laser-guided munitions.
- intransitive v. To practice the art of painting pictures.
- intransitive v. To cover something with paint.
- intransitive v. To apply cosmetics to oneself: "Let her paint an inch thick, to this favor she must come” ( Shakespeare).
- intransitive v. To serve as a surface to be coated with paint: These nonporous surfaces paint badly with a brush.
- idiom paint the town red Slang To go on a spree.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A substance that is applied as a liquid or paste, and dries into a solid coating that protects or adds color/colour to an object or surface to which it has been applied.
- n. A set of containers or blocks of paint of different colors/colours, used for painting pictures.
- n. The free-throw lane, construed with the.
- n. Paintballs.
- n. A face card (king, queen, or jack).
- n. Graphics drawn using an input device, not scanned or generated.
- v. To apply paint to.
- v. To apply in the manner that paint is applied.
- v. To create an image with paints.
- v. To practise the art of painting pictures.
- v. To draw an element in a graphical user interface.
- v. To depict or portray.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To cover with coloring matter; to apply paint to
- transitive v. To color, stain, or tinge; to adorn or beautify with colors; to diversify with colors.
- transitive v. To form in colors a figure or likeness of on a flat surface, as upon canvas; to represent by means of colors or hues; to exhibit in a tinted image; to portray with paints.
- transitive v. To represent or exhibit to the mind; to describe vividly; to delineate; to image; to depict.
- transitive v. To practice the art of painting.
- transitive v. To color one's face by way of beautifying it.
- n. A pigment or coloring substance.
- n. The same prepared with a vehicle, as oil, water with gum, or the like, for application to a surface.
- n. A cosmetic; rouge.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To coat or cover with a color or colors; color or cover with a paint or pigment.
- To depict or delineate in colors or paints of any kind, usually on a prepared surface; represent in colors; represent in a picture: as, to paint a landscape or a portrait; to paint a battlescene; also, to execute in colors: as, to paint a picture.
- Figuratively, to delineate, depict, or describe in words; present vividly to the mind's eye; set forth or represent as in a picture: formerly with out: as, to paint the joys of heaven.
- To color, deck, decorate, or diversify; ornament; adorn.
- To erase or blot out by covering with pigments: as, to paint out an unsatisfactory picture.
- To practise painting; use pigments in depicting faces, scenes, etc.
- To lay artificial color on the face, usually with the view of beautifying it; hence, to blush.
- To indulge in strong drink; drink.
- To counterfeit; disguise.
- n. A substance used in painting, composed of a dry coloring material intimately mixed with a liquid vehicle.
- n. Color laid on the face; rouge.
- n. In rubber-manuf., any substance fixed with caoutchouc in the process of manufacture, for the purpose of hardening it. Various materials are employed, such as whiting, plaster of Paris, sulphate of zinc, lampblack, pitch, etc.
- n. The yellow Indian paint, Hydrastis Canadensis, the yellow puccoon, or yellowroot.
- n. An abbreviation of painting.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a substance used as a coating to protect or decorate a surface (especially a mixture of pigment suspended in a liquid); dries to form a hard coating
- v. apply paint to; coat with paint
- n. makeup consisting of a pink or red powder applied to the cheeks
- v. make a painting
- n. (basketball) a space (including the foul line) in front of the basket at each end of a basketball court; usually painted a different color from the rest of the court
- v. make a painting of
- v. apply a liquid to; e.g., paint the gutters with linseed oil
There is no attempt at anything subtile or even delicate in the treatment, speaking from the point of view of a result achieved by paint on canvas, -- no texture, no difference of handling, no imitation; all is _paint_, admirably put on, for the effect across the room.
Kristina: Ma I'm going to look at the paint but I'll meet you at the car Krystal: ok * By paint*
with a rising inflection; parallel to these forms are sel (falling) black paint, sel (rising) paint it!
Julia Miller doesn't much like the term paint, which tends to lack the fun aspect that this
The term paint as used in this act shall Term defined, include white lead, oxide or zinc and red lead, dry or in any kind of oil, and any compound intended for the same use, colors ground in oil, paste or semi-paste paint, and liquid or mixed paint ready for use.
The push of the paint is all wedged in by hand, bestowing a thick, mosaic-like character.
For being only a few years old, I am certain my paint is the 4th color on many of the walls.
There the lone voices resonate. upon the canvas in my kitchen the meal I prepare to paint is to nourish as bright image for the moment of the eye and sadly if simply left then to rot and return.
There are also a few details where the paint is applied more thickly: these areas of impasto include the bracelet of Pharaoh's daughter and in the metallic urn in the foreground.
The rain and the sun, the scorching winds of spring and winter's piercing blizzards have had their way with it for many years, and now it defies them all, for the paint is all gone, and it has no beauty for them to fade.