from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. The art or process of applying gilt to a surface.
  • n. Gold leaf or a paint containing or simulating gold; gilt.
  • n. Something used to give a superficially attractive appearance.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • v. Present participle of gild.
  • n. The art of applying gold leaf to a surface
  • n. Gold leaf
  • n. A coating of gold, etc.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. The art or practice of overlaying or covering with gold leaf; also, a thin coating or wash of gold, or of that which resembles gold.
  • n. Gold in leaf, powder, or liquid, for application to any surface.
  • n. Any superficial coating or appearance, as opposed to what is solid and genuine.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. The art of overlaying or decorating with gold.
  • n. The art or practice of producing the appearance of gilding by the use of other materials than gold. Compare gild, verb
  • n. That which is laid on in overlaying with gold; hence, any superficial coating used to give a better appearance to a thing than is natural to it.
  • n. A rich golden color imparted to herrings by the use of hard wood only in smoking them.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a coating of gold or of something that looks like gold


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Gilty! Gilty! I've never seen anyone so gilty!

    June 7, 2010

  • Why isn't this word "gilting"?

    (noun The art or process of applying gilt to a surface.)

    June 7, 2010