from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A black enamel or lacquer used to produce a durable glossy finish.
- noun An object decorated with this substance.
- transitive verb To decorate with a black enamel or lacquer.
- transitive verb To coat with a glossy finish.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To invest with the black coat of a clergyman; ordain.
- Of or pertaining to Japan: as, Japan varnish (now written “japan varnish,” without reference to the country); Japan work, etc.
- noun Work varnished and figured in the manner practised by the natives of Japan.
- noun A liquid having somewhat the nature of a varnish, made by cooking gum shellac with linseed-oil in a varnish-kettle.
- noun An asphaltum varnish.
- noun A black cane.
- To varnish with japan; cover with any material which gives a hard black gloss.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb To cover with a coat of hard, brilliant varnish, in the manner of the Japanese; to lacquer.
- transitive verb rare To give a glossy black to, as shoes.
- adjective Of or pertaining to Japan, or to the lacquered work of that country.
- adjective (Bot.) a spiny shrub from Japan (
Chimonanthus fragrans), related to the Carolina allspice.
- adjective (Chem.) a quickly drying black lacquer or varnish, consisting essentially of asphaltum dissolved in naphtha or turpentine, and used for coating ironwork; -- called also
Brunswick black, Japan lacquer, or simply Japan.
- adjective ordinary camphor brought from China or Japan, as distinguished from the rare variety called
borneolor Borneo camphor.
- adjective (Bot.) a cloverlike plant (
Lespedeza striata) from Eastern Asia, useful for fodder, first noticed in the Southern United States about 1860, but now become very common. During the Civil War it was called variously Yankee cloverand Rebel clover.
- adjective See
- adjective a kind of writing ink, of a deep, glossy black when dry.
- adjective a varnish prepared from the milky juice of the
Rhus vernix, a small Japanese tree related to the poison sumac.
- noun Work varnished and figured in the Japanese manner; also, the varnish or lacquer used in japanning.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun A hard black
enamel varnishcontaining asphalt.
- verb transitive To
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb coat with a lacquer, as done in Japan
- noun lacquer with a durable glossy black finish, originally from the orient
- noun a string of more than 3,000 islands to the east of Asia extending 1,300 miles between the Sea of Japan and the western Pacific Ocean
- noun lacquerware decorated and varnished in the Japanese manner with a glossy durable black lacquer
- noun a constitutional monarchy occupying the Japanese Archipelago; a world leader in electronics and automobile manufacture and ship building
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Help support Wordnik (and make this page ad-free) by adopting the word japan.
First of all This style in japan is called bozo zuko style.
The Idea of dropping the PS3 in japan is a marketing ploy in a bone dry market.
EXTRALIFE – By Scott Johnson - Sony Cuts Price of PlayStation 3 to $410 2006
The markets more focused in japan but penetrating that stuff is a whole another can of worms.
Kicking The Dog SVGL 2009
I live in japan n could download skype app early this morning … It works amazingly fine.
May 12, 2009 at 8: 10 AM umm i would say somewhere in japan
Loginox Changes The OS X Login Background Image | Lifehacker Australia 2009
But i agree, woman rights in japan are still a big problem and like every piece of art its always a mirror of its society and im quite sure these games (RapeLay or God of War) are showing up because of the characteristics of our society.
Was RapeLay 'Asking For It'? SVGL 2009
Yeah, the truth .. like secret blacklists in japan for people that dis health care ..
Think Progress » Bachmann Suggests Critics Of Health Care Reform Will Be Put On A ‘List’ And Denied Treatment 2010
The second world war for japan is seen much differently than we in the west see it.
He thinks that talking big in japan and Asia, he can get back his credibility.
Pilotshark says: pezmiztix says: and the fact that chinese were brutalized and raped by the japan. by the japan? japan is a country, remember us dropping two atomic bombs on the japan, how do you thing the china felt about that. you know you are not even smart enough to be ignorant, you unpatriotic coward.
Think Progress » Right-wing Saudi dynasty endorses right-wing Fox News dynasty. 2010
Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.