from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A traditional social unit in the Scottish Highlands, consisting of a number of families claiming a common ancestor and following the same hereditary chieftain.
- noun A division of a tribe tracing descent from a common ancestor.
- noun A large group of relatives, friends, or associates.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A social unit in a tribe in which descent is reckoned in the maternal line; a group of people supposed to be descended from a common ancestor, descent being reckoned in the female line. In this sense it is opposed to gens, the social unit in a tribe in which descent is reckoned in the paternal line.
- noun A race; a family; a tribe; an association of persons under a chieftain; especially, such a family or tribe among the Highlanders of Scotland.
- noun Figuratively, a clique, sect, set, society, or body of persons closely united by some common interest or pursuit, and supposed to have a spirit of exclusiveness toward others.
- noun Synonyms Tribe, Race, etc. See
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun A tribe or collection of families, united under a chieftain, regarded as having the same common ancestor, and bearing the same surname.
- noun A clique; a sect, society, or body of persons; esp., a body of persons united by some common interest or pursuit; -- sometimes used contemptuously.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun anthropology A group of people all descended from a common
ancestor, in fact or belief.
- noun A
traditional socialgroup of familiesin the Scottish Highlandshaving a common hereditary chieftain
- noun Any
associationof people behaving clannishly.
- noun video games A group of players who habitually play on the same team in
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun group of people related by blood or marriage
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
How can you claim that a prophesy about a leader appearing from a certain clan is fulfilled by Jesus, who merely happened to be born in town that shares its name with that clan?
Among the tribes of the Siouan family the primary unit is the clan or gens, which is composed of a number of consanguinei, claiming descent from a common ancestor and having common taboos; the term clan implying descent in the female line, while gens implies descent in the male line.
Italy's interior minister says the six victims were members of what he calls a clan in Italy's southern region of Calabria.
[Escalettes] talks of lobbying from the team of 1998, which he called a clan that was putting pressure on the selector, he is false.
Name calling by the hateful open borders clan is used to silence Americans from discussing immigration and advocating the enforcement of immigration laws.
But if a culture is too tied up in clan loyalties, I doubt that North would see a transition to an open-access order as feasible.
For al of the Palin clan, please don't even think about her being a President for this country because it would be just like living in Iraq.
Forbes estimates the clan is worth at least $4 billion.
At this point, the whole Palin clan needs to step out of public view.
July 13th, 2009 10: 05 am ET the more levi can tell us about the "palin clan" the better. i only hope he is telling the truth. could you imagine a reality show about that family??? yeh, me neither. it's unfortunate but republican women for the most part will listen to ANYTHING she has to say. the sad thing is they will believe what she says too.