from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A position assigned on a scale; a standing.
- n. A classification according to specialty or proficiency, as of a member of the armed forces.
- n. Chiefly British An enlisted person in the navy.
- n. An evaluation of the financial status of a business or person: a credit rating.
- n. A specified performance limit, as of capacity, range, or operational capability: the power rating of a light fixture.
- n. The popularity of a television or radio program as estimated by a poll of segments of the audience.
- n. A harsh scolding.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of rate.
- n. A position on a scale
- n. An evaluation of status, especially of financial status
- n. A number, letter, or other mark that refers to the ability of something.
- n. A seaman in a warship
- n. The status of a seaman, corresponding to rank in officers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A scolding.
- n. A fixing of rates; proportionate distribution as to charge or compensation; determination of relative values or rights.
- n. Classification according to grade or rank; determination of relative standing; hence, rank or grade.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. act of ascertaining or fixing the value or worth of
- n. standing or position on a scale
- n. rank in a military organization
- n. an appraisal of the value of something
Sorry, no etymologies found.
And an improved credit rating is shorthand for a government budget that's under control and doesn't require tax increases and/or rising interest rates that damp economic growth.
Find the number of amps and multiply it by the number of volts on the label rating tag.
I wonder if the rating is affected by the rating of every individual episode.
Favorable Internal-Liquidity Policy and Cushion: The 'F1+' short term rating reflects the district's overall credit strength and solid financial cushion.
-Affirms 'F1+ short term rating on $9.6 million outstanding GO bonds, series 2010B tax-exempt bonds.
Myth Level: (I still can't figure out what this stupid "rating" is supposed to be)
Obama's overall approval rating is 55%, with 41% disapproval.
Her approval rating is o the chart and I hope Obama enjoys his TV celebrity role because he's in it for only 4 years.
(CNN) - A new poll of Connecticut voters indicates that Senator Christopher Dodd's approval rating is on the rise, but still in negative territory.
A new poll suggests that Barack Obama's approval rating is dropping rapidly in Ohio, a crucial battleground in the race for the White House, and a state with a U.S.