from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- adjective Midway between two points or conditions.
- adjective Reaching or including only half or a portion; partial.
from The Century Dictionary.
- Midway; equidistant from the extremes.
- In the middle; at half the distance.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- adverb In the middle; at half the distance; imperfectly; partially.
- adjective Equally distant from the extremes; situated at an intermediate point; midway.
- adjective partial.
- adjective including only half or a portion; incomplete.
- adjective a practice among the Congregational churches of New England, between 1657 and 1662, of permitting baptized persons of moral life and orthodox faith to enjoy all the privileges of church membership, save the partaking of the Lord's Supper. They were also allowed to present their children for baptism.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
Halfof the waybetween two points; midway.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adverb at half the distance; at the middle
- adjective including only half or a portion
- adjective equally distant from the extremes
- adjective at a point midway between two extremes
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Ian looked again, then turned toward Alice with an expression halfway between skepticism and bemusement.
Eric leaned against the row of lockers beside hers wearing an expression halfway between a leering grin and a snarl.
We need a word halfway between friend and acquaintance.
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers says it's reached what it describes as the halfway point in draining the floodwaters in New Orleans.
WHY I thought I could put a book of hers down halfway is entirely beyond me.
The Secondary Objective is to try and keep my body in halfway decent shape.
Most begin halfway or fully at “Hurray!” and slope off jaggedly to “Blah.”
Definitely, but I still get that nose & ear pain halfway into a feature.
He owned the part of Scott Pilgrim so much that I literally forgot his name halfway through the film.
One can get halfway from the cover to the cartoon by simply emptying the man's word balloon.