from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. An irregularly shaped spot, stain, or colored or discolored area: "spectacular splotches of color and beauty in the blossoms” ( Wendy Lyon Moonan).
  • transitive v. To mark with splotches or a splotch.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. An irregular-shaped spot or stain.
  • v. To mark with splotches.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A spot; a stain; a daub.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • To soil with splotches; cause to look splotchy.
  • n. A broad, ill-defined spot; a stain; a daub; a smear.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. an irregularly shaped spot
  • v. blotch or spot


Perhaps blend of spot, blot1 and botch.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From a variation of splot ("a spot") (compare blotch, from blot). More at splot. (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.