from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To draw a line under; emphasize or cause to stand out; underscore.
- transitive v. To emphasize; stress.
- n. A line under something, such as a symbol, word, or phrase, used to indicate emphasis or italic type.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A line placed underneath a piece of text in order to provide emphasis or to indicate that it should be viewed in italics or that it acts as a hyperlink
- n. An _ character
- v. To draw a line underneath something, especially to add emphasis; to underscore
- v. To emphasise or stress something
- v. To influence secretly.
- adj. Passing under a railway line.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To mark a line below, as words; to underscore.
- transitive v. To influence secretly.
- transitive v. Emphasize or call attention to; highlight.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The lower line of the body: used in describing the “points” of a horse.
- To mark underneath or below with a line; underscore: as, to underline words in a letter.
- To influence secretly.
- n. The advance announcement of the production of a play, placed under any theatrical advertisement of a regular performance.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. give extra weight to (a communication)
- v. draw a line or lines underneath to call attention to
- n. a line drawn underneath (especially under written matter)
This is her responding to someone else's post on holding beliefs and the validity of beliefs (original post in underline, Amanda's respose in bold):
The underline is a hyperlink, and this is a shameless plug for it.
Let's examine what I actually said about you (note the big blue underline, that is a link to your original piece):
The software was pretty complicated; if you wanted to underline a word or indent paragraphs you had to enter a series of commands.
Only the titles underline the basic scenarios (for example,
The boycott calls underline discontent with the pace of reforms Saudi King Abdullah promised after coming to power in 2005.
Both calls underline the prevailing Palestinian belief that the most effective form of solidarity with the Palestinian people is direct action aimed at bringing an end to Israel's colonial and apartheid regime, just as the apartheid regime in South Africa was abolished, by isolating Israel internationally through boycotts and sanctions, forcing it to comply with international law and respect Palestinian rights.
The Touchable items in the GUI are indicated by an orange underline, which is all well and good, but the spots are so small, and so often at the very edge of the recessed screen (like OPT in the picture to the right, to open the Options menu), that they are almost impossible for me to get to respond.
And if you wanted to kind of underline what are some of the more business-oriented effects of the nature this competition has, I think there are three.
What's New in This Release: [read full changelog] · Added two attribute style maps: "underline" and "overstrike"