from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- transitive verb To moisten and rub (a part of the body) with a liniment or lotion.
from The Century Dictionary.
- To moisten and rub, as a bruised or injured part of the body, with a liquid substance, as with liniment.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- transitive verb (Med.) To moisten and rub (a diseased part) with a liquid substance, as with spirit, oil, etc., by means of a cloth or sponge.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- verb medicine, transitive To
moistenand rub(a diseased part) with a liquidsubstance, as with spirit, oil, etc., by means of a clothor sponge.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- verb administer an oil or ointment to ; often in a religious ceremony of blessing
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
Mr. Forbes, whom Selby had called in, by this time arrived; and, having declared that it would be injurious to her to take a journey in her present situation, ordered her to bed, and said he would send her something to embrocate the part affected. —