from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that expounds or interprets.
- n. One that speaks for, represents, or advocates: Our senator is an exponent of free trade.
- n. Mathematics A number or symbol, as 3 in (x + y)3, placed to the right of and above another number, symbol, or expression, denoting the power to which that number, symbol, or expression is to be raised. Also called power.
- adj. Expository; explanatory.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who expounds, represents or advocates
- n. The power to which a number, symbol or expression is to be raised. For example, the 3 in x3.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A number, letter, or any quantity written on the right hand of and above another quantity, and denoting how many times the latter is repeated as a factor to produce the power indicated.
- n. One who, or that which, stands as an index or representative.
- n. one who explains, expounds, or interprets.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Exemplifying; explicating.
- n. One who expounds or explains.
- n. One who or that which stands as an index or representative; one who or that which exemplifies or represents the principle or character of something: as, the leader of a party is the exponent of its principles.
- n. In algebra, a symbol placed above and at the right of another symbol (the base), to denote that the latter is to be raised to the power indicated by the former.
- n. A particular example illustrating the meaning of a general statement.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mathematical notation indicating the number of times a quantity is multiplied by itself
- n. someone who expounds and interprets or explains
- n. a person who pleads for a cause or propounds an idea
June 23rd, 2006 at 4: 46 pm jealousofjeff says: nope jason pissant – exponent is what I meant. proponent is just a synonym. sort of like assclown is to pissant. assclown
The short term exponent of about -1.5 is not too different from -5/3.
Perhaps its best-known living exponent is Marshal Pétain.
-- Or the question may be more unanswerably stated thus, Is _good_ superfluous as a word exponent of a _kind_?
Picture of Shahenshah Baba the greatest Rafaee sword exponent ..
One has to keep in mind that numbers increase very, very quickly as the superscript called the exponent increases.
Dear Freddy, the exponentially decreasing saturating formula is assuming that there is a universal value of the coefficient that I wrote as 1/200″ in the exponent, which is only reasonable if you study the absorption at one frequency.
Exponible propositions generally break down into elements that are called exponent propositions; they explain or expound what is going on in the exponible proposition.
If the exponent is a positive number above 1, the rate of rise of the accumulation does indeed become rapid in time.
He immediately began to preach sanctification like a flaming messenger of fire, and to-day is a powerful, fire-baptized exponent of the fourfold gospel.