from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One that can always be relied on, as in an emergency.
- n. A favorite or frequent choice.
- n. One kept in readiness to serve as a substitute.
- adj. Kept in reserve for use when needed: a standby generator.
- adj. Of, relating to, or waiting for unreserved travel space that is made available by an airline only shortly before departure: standby passengers.
- adv. On a standby basis: flew standby to New York.
- idiom on standby Ready and waiting.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. State of readiness without being immediately involved.
- n. Waiting at the airport in the hope of getting a seat on a flight that is already booked out.
- n. Something that is standard, well-tested, or frequently used.
- v. Wait briefly: alternative spelling of stand by.
"If duty pump fails and the standby pump runs, should the term standby still applies?"
The light will flash every 5 seconds when it is in what I call standby mode when it is waiting to sense movement.
The standard keyless entry, it seems, keeps the car in "standby" mode even with the engine shut off.
It runs incredibly fast for the hardware I run it on (MSI Wind with 1. 5gig of ram), it feels much faster than the previous iBooks I've had, the standby is really quick and resume is instant, and it runs Office.
He went on to warn readers about so called "vampire appliances," such as computers, stereos and DVD players, which use power in standby mode.
Improved battery life (2 weeks in standby mode with wireless disabled) 20% faster page turns
Another 80s cartoon standby is represented on the first disc – - adolescent versions of adult characters.
Jobs said the two new Airs -- a 2. 3-lb. model with an 11. 6-in. screen, starting at $999 with 64 gigabytes of flash storage, and a 2. 9-lb. version with a 13. 3-in. screen, priced at $1,299 and up -- can stay asleep in standby mode for 30 days, with active battery life of five to seven hours.
So far, their device can collect up to 5 milliwatts of power, and their short term goal is to collect 20 milliwatts of power, which is just enough to keep the phone charged in standby mode.
We have the VoiP phones like Vonage and the old standby is still standing by – forgotten.