from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- pro. Used to refer to oneself as speaker or writer.
- n. The self; the ego.
- The symbol for the element iodine.
- Electricity The symbol for current.
- The symbol for the Roman numeral 1.
- abbr. incomplete
- abbr. interstate
- abbr. isospin
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The ninth letter of the basic modern Latin alphabet.
- n. Symbol for iodine.
- n. Isotopic spin.
- n. Italy
- n. Electrical current.
- n. IUPAC 1-letter abbreviation for isoleucine
- n. cardinal number one.
- n. The ninth letter of the English alphabet, called i and written in the Latin script.
- n. The ordinal number ninth, derived from this letter of the English alphabet, called i and written in the Latin script.
- pro. The speaker or writer, referred to as the grammatical subject, of a sentence.
- n. The ego.
- abbr. interstate
"It isn't -- I didn't -- you can't prove anything about me, Bert Bobbsey, and if you go around telling that I took your ice cream, I-- I---"
I-- _I_ of course knew nothing about it; I only knew about the garden-party at Lady Margaret.
I-- _I_ got in under their nose while the big Mohammed was turned away without sight of his uncle, "bragged the little Imp." I am a clever boy, I.
In all my living, he argues, whether I sin or turn to God, whether I doubt or believe, whether I know or am ignorant, in all _I know that I am I_.
"I-- _I_," she cried at length, her black eyes holding me as I stood, weak and faint, clinging unconsciously to the coffin for support.
Wasn't it necessary we should know it? Oh! "with a shudder of disgust," I wish I could make you understand how ashamed I feel -- how WICKED and ashamed I feel that I-- _I_ should have disgraced father's memory by ...
I felt as if it was the utter injustice of God that I-- _I_ -- had to be mixed up in it.
Till the stone is lifted, and the Brahmins come down singing the songs that I know, and feed me with warm milk, and take me to the light again, I-- I-- _I_, and no other, am the Warden of the King's Treasure!
I-- I---- but there, seeing you have robbed me of what I thought was my legitimate fortune, don't try to rob me of my good name.
"I know it, but I-- I----" And then the young man, having tried to get to his feet, suddenly collapsed and became unconscious again.