from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- pro. That one identical with you:
- pro. Used reflexively as the direct or indirect object of a verb or as the object of a preposition: Did you buy yourself a gift?
- pro. Used for emphasis: You yourself were certain of the facts.
- pro. Used in an absolute construction: In office yourself, you helped push the bill along.
- pro. Your normal or healthy condition: Are you feeling yourself again? See Usage Note at myself.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- pro. Your own self.
- pro. you; used emphatically, especially to indicate exclusiveness of the referent's participation in the predicate, i.e., that no one else is involved
- n. Your usual, normal, or true self.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- pro. An emphasized or reflexive form of the pronoun of the second person; -- used as a subject commonly with you; ; also, alone in the predicate, either in the nominative or objective case.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- An emphatic or reflexive form of the second personal pronoun, ye, you.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
But, as a general rule, "_keep yourself to yourself_" is a serviceable adage.
"You may be able to protect yourself from all others, but can you always protect yourself _from yourself_?" sighed the old man.
He said true; yourself and a companion _are_ theatre enough to one another, or _you_ to _yourself_.
We may read, _only_ reserve yourself to, or _only_ reserve to _yourself this advantage_.
You will take pains, even at a heavy cost to self (and such costs are always gains in the end), so to minister as to attract the attention of the flock, not to yourself, but to your blessed Master and His Word; preaching "not yourself, but Christ Jesus as Lord, and _yourself their servant_ for
Sure, you have to be a good writer, but believing in yourself is so important to your success.
Hope this was helpful, and we're glad to hear that you are soon to unchain yourself from the US rat-race and join the wonderful world of expat retirement.
Gaining confidence in yourself is one of the hardest things to do in this industry, because more often than not, there is always people out there ready to rip you apart.
But finding faith in yourself is fundamental, whether it's in death or love or both.
I think believing in yourself is definitely something you must do when writing.