from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An enclosure for swine.
- n. A filthy place.
- transitive v. To shut up in or live in a sty.
- n. Inflammation of one or more sebaceous glands of an eyelid.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A pen or enclosure for swine.
- n. A messy or dirty place.
- v. To place in a sty.
- v. To live in a sty, or any messy or dirty place.
- n. A ladder.
- n. An inflammation of the eyelid.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A pen or inclosure for swine.
- n. A place of bestial debauchery.
- n. An inflamed swelling or boil on the edge of the eyelid.
- intransitive v. To soar; to ascend; to mount. See stirrup.
- transitive v. To shut up in, or as in, a sty.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To go upward; mount; ascend; soar.
- To mount (upon a horse).
- To aspire.
- To occupy a sty or hovel; live in a sty.
- To lodge in a sty or hovel; pen up.
- n. An ascent; an ascending lane or path; any narrow pathway or course.
- n. A step upward; a stair.
- n. A ladder.
- n. A pen or inclosure for swine; a pigsty.
- n. Hence A filthy hovel or place: any place of mean living or bestial debauchery.
- n. A circumscribed inflammatory swelling of the edge of the eyelid, like a small boil; hordeolurn. Also spelled stye.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an infection of the sebaceous gland of the eyelid
- n. a pen for swine
He kept a pig, and was wont to boast that he possessed the highest pigsty and the lowest barn in the country, because the sty was a structure of his own erection, in the old brick tower, above the level of the surrounding ground; while his straw was stored in an excavation (still existing) several feet below.
Does the writer delicately hesitate to call a sty a sty, or has the internment of the food-hog really begun?
That bit of our heritage was a brazen statement about the promise, and the pig sty, that is democracy - that only a completely open society, tolerant of all views, would thrive.
Blepharitis is inflammation of the edges of the eyelids; conjunctivitis is inflammation of the membrane that lines the eyelids and connects to the eyeball; iritis is inflammation of the iris; scleritis is inflammation of the white part of the eyeball, uveitis is inflammation of the pigmented inner parts of the eye; a sty is an inflammation of an oil-secreting gland on or near the edge of an eyelid; a chalazion is a small, hard tumor that forms on the edge of an eyelid.
In the room over the sty is a bin which must be filled with the fallen apples before any nuts can be gathered. "
Reply to this dominic the chinese government is a corrupt pig sty we can face the thought of animals going extinct but to say that the chinese overnment is litterealy driving the uyguhrs to extinction is sickening.
In the last CNN debate, Newt Gingrich announced that he was interested in debating President Barack Obama in seven, three-hour long debates in the sty...
In addition to recording the pig's life, Herbert used parts of the animal to make musical instruments, such as a drum made from the pig's skin, a musical pig sty, and a wind instrument that uses the pig's blood.
“You'd think some of these families lived in a pig sty,” he says as he pokes at a discarded orange rind using a stick with a nail embedded in one end.
Thor, your whole "I'm too erudite to wallow in the sty of mediocrity with the rest of you pigs because I read * serious* books in third grade" schtick is seriously underwhelming me here.