from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The spoken exchange of thoughts, opinions, and feelings; talk.
- n. An instance of this: held a long conversation on the subject.
- n. An informal discussion of a matter by representatives of governments, institutions, or organizations.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The back-and-forth play of the blades in a bout.
- n. The protocol-based interaction between systems processing a transaction.
- v. To engage in conversation (with).
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. General course of conduct; behavior.
- n. Familiar intercourse; intimate fellowship or association; close acquaintance.
- n. Commerce; intercourse; traffic.
- n. Colloquial discourse; oral interchange of sentiments and observations; informal dialogue.
- n. Sexual intercourse.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. General course of actions or habits; manner of life; behavior: deportment, especially with respect to morals. [Obsolescent.]
- n. Familiar intercourse; intimate acquaintance or association; commerce in social life. [Obsolescent.]
- n. Familiar acquaintance from using or studying.
- n. Informal interchange of thoughts and sentiments by spoken words; informal or familiar talk.
- n. A meeting for conversation, especially on literary subjects; a conversazione.
- n. Sexual intercourse: as, criminal conversation (which see, under criminal).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the use of speech for informal exchange of views or ideas or information etc.
Religious and philosophic conversation were ever-present in my home life, and the conversation was *always* that—a *conversation*.
Read also the following certificate of these men, which they gave to the public last spring; in which they admit some other conversation which they call _a free and unreserved conversation_, and protest against the
I had that conversation only after just having a phone conversation with Shari — regarding the same nonsense.) (Oh and as a second aside: Shari is a secret-covert-spy on diaryland whom is a bit chicken and signs up as a guest (refusing to set up her own tag name) to read muah and others - as listed above oh my bubbles: in my proper PBS - drug-free - commercial tone
Just remember, "conversation" comes from the Latin word for
One of my favorite responses when anything about conscious parenting, positive discipline, Non-Violent parenting etc. comes up in conversation is the “I turned out all right” statement.
The standout scene and most likely the one that will be brought up most in conversation is involving a mad chase scene with the killer and a very naked Irene (played with game enthusiasm by Rue).
The reason I think it does not come up in conversation is because most people do not get how important it is.
Anyone not engaged in conversation is hunched over a BlackBerry.
If I used the term conversation, it was in a very limited sense.
The healthful restraint always existing between boys and girls in conversation is apt to be relaxed with either sex alone.