from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To hit sharply and swiftly; strike: rapped the table with his fist.
- transitive v. To utter sharply: rap out a complaint.
- transitive v. To criticize or blame.
- intransitive v. To strike a quick light blow: rapped on the door.
- n. A quick light blow or knock.
- n. A knocking or tapping sound.
- n. Slang A reprimand.
- n. Slang A sentence to serve time in prison.
- n. Slang A negative quality or characteristic associated with a person or an object.
- idiom beat the rap Slang To escape punishment or be acquitted of a charge.
- idiom take the rap Slang To accept punishment or take the blame for an offense or error.
- transitive v. Archaic To enchant or seize with rapture.
- transitive v. Archaic To snatch.
- n. Informal The least bit: I don't give a rap about office politics. I don't care a rap what you do.
- n. Slang A talk, conversation, or discussion.
- n. A form of popular music developed especially in African-American urban communities and characterized by spoken or chanted rhyming lyrics with a strong rhythmic accompaniment.
- n. A composition or performance of such music.
- intransitive v. Slang To discuss freely and at length.
- intransitive v. To perform rap music.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A sharp blow with something hard.
- n. Blame (for something).
- n. A casual talk
- n. Rap music.
- n. A song, verse, or instance of singing in the style of rap music.
- n. Any of the tokens that passed current for a halfpenny in Ireland in the early part of the eighteenth century; thus, any coin of trifling value.
- v. To strike something sharply with one's knuckles; knock.
- v. To speak (lyrics) in the style of rap music.
- v. To talk casually.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A lay or skein containing 120 yards of yarn.
- intransitive v. To strike with a quick, sharp blow; to knock.
- transitive v. To strike with a quick blow; to knock on.
- transitive v. To free (a pattern) in a mold by light blows on the pattern, so as to facilitate its removal.
- n. A quick, smart blow; a knock.
- transitive v. To snatch away; to seize and hurry off.
- transitive v. To hasten.
- transitive v. To seize and bear away, as the mind or thoughts; to transport out of one's self; to affect with ecstasy or rapture.
- transitive v. To exchange; to truck.
- transitive v. To engage in a discussion, converse.
- transitive v. to perform a type of rhythmic talking, often with accompanying rhythm instruments. It is considered by some as a type of music; see rap music.
- n. A popular name for any of the tokens that passed current for a half-penny in Ireland in the early part of the eighteenth century; any coin of trifling value.
- n. conversation; also, rapping.
- n. a type of rhythmic talking, often with accompanying rhythm instruments; rap music.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To beat upon; strike heavily or smartly; give a quick, sharp blow to, as with the fist, a door-knocker, a stick, or the like; knock upon.
- To use in striking; make a blow or blows with.
- To utter sharply: speak out: usually with out (see phrase below).
- To produce or indicate by rapping sounds; impart by a series of significant raps: as, to rap out a communication or a signal: used specifically of the supposed transmission of spiritual intelligence in this way through the instrumentality of mediums.
- Synonyms To thump, whack.
- To deal a heavy blow or heavy blows; beat.
- To fall with a stroke or blow; drop so as to strike.
- To strike a quick, sharp blow; make a sound by knocking, as on a door: as, to rap for admittance.
- To take an oath; swear; especially, to swear falsely: compare to rap out , above.
- n. A heavy or quick, smart, blow; a sharp or resounding knock; concussion from striking.
- n. A sound produced by knocking, as at a door, or by any sharp concussion; specifically, in modern spiritualism, a ticking or knocking noise produced by no apparent physical means, and ascribed to the agency of disembodied spirits.
- To snatch or hurry away; seize by violence; carry off; transport; ravish.
- To transport out of one's self; affect with ecstasy or rapture; carry away; absorb; engross.
- To scratch.
- n. A counterfeit coin of bad metal which passed current in Ireland for a halfpenny in the reign of George I., before the issue of Wood's halfpence.
- n. A Middle English form of rope.
- n. A Middle English preterit of reap.
- n. A lay or skein of yarn containing 120 yards.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. perform rap music
- n. genre of African-American music of the 1980s and 1990s in which rhyming lyrics are chanted to a musical accompaniment; several forms of rap have emerged
- v. talk volubly
- n. a gentle blow
- n. the act of hitting vigorously
- n. the sound made by a gentle blow
- v. make light, repeated taps on a surface
- n. voluble conversation
- v. strike sharply
- n. a reproach for some lapse or misdeed
*Puts top bak on and raps wif ducktaip, rap rap rap rap*
Then the _contrabandista_ turned and walked sharply across the cavern-like chamber to overtake his men, and as he disappeared, distant but sharp and echoing _rap, rap, rap_, came the reports of firearms, and Punch looked sharply at his companion.
_Rap, rap, rap_, came now at the door, and a voice with a decided French accent, a voice that sounded familiar to me, said:
* just a liddle tuck and pat an some duckytape to hole ebeyting in plase *Striiippp – rap rap rap* now a fiddies style bafscap * Streeeccchhh snap* and a floofy blankey, some possum shape chonklits and done.
Jimmy Bourke, "with a final _rap, rap, rap_ of his pipe.
They cringe when the term rap rock enters the conversation.
Alicia Keys thinks that gangsta rap is a white conspiracy to get black people to kill each other.
After training, a fighter must join him in what he calls "rap time."
All three Myran, Fabolous and Loon have hit back at Mase with their own diss songs, Myran raps "whose Mason Betha? wernt he the one kissing Diddy's ass for more chedder Betha can preach to my bretta this is what they call a rap vendetta", Loon raps saying "how you go from general to number 1 soldier" While Fabolous calls Mase "confused".
Q: during spawn, whats your favorite lure or rig to use ... when the bass drop to beds i like to get a clackin rap in there and get them annoyed and almost force them to bite