from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun An act of repeated hitting or striking.
- noun A thorough defeat, as in an athletic contest.
- noun A sharp reversal; a setback.
- noun A throbbing or pulsation, as of the heart.
- noun Physics The periodic variation in amplitude of a wave, especially that produced by the superposition of two waves of different frequencies, resulting in segments of more intense and then less intense wave phenomena, such as louder and then quieter sound.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The act of striking, or operating by blows; any process of working by percussion.
- noun Punishment or chastisement by blows; a flogging.
- noun The state of being beaten or out-done; a defeat.
- noun Regular pulsation or throbbing.
- noun In music, same as
beat, 7 : but in this form more frequently applied to the beats of the strings of a piano or the pipes of an organ.
- noun Nautical, the act of advancing in a zigzag line against the wind.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun The act of striking or giving blows; punishment or chastisement by blows.
- noun Pulsation; throbbing.
- noun (Acoustics & Mus.) Pulsative sounds. See
- noun (Naut.) The process of sailing against the wind by tacks in zigzag direction.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
actionof the verb to beat
- noun a heavy
- noun the
pulsationof the heart
- verb Present participle of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the act of inflicting corporal punishment with repeated blows
- noun the act of overcoming or outdoing
Sorry, no etymologies found.
“I never knew the expression beating the piss out of someone was literal.”
They're half way home to the title beating Colorado 2-1 in a pitchers 'dual last night in Colorado.
Standing tall at five feet nine inches, Choudhury, 22, won the title beating 19 other contestants Sunday.
With Federer losing to Radek Stepanek in the quarter-finals, Djokovic seized his opportunity to take the title beating Stanislas Wawrinka in the final.
LUC.NOW: Aditya Madkekar of Western Railway won the title beating P.C. Vignesh of South C.ntral Railway 6-2, 6-1 in the final of the 56th all-India Railways tennis championship here on Saturday.
ZAHN (on camera): I'd like to start off this morning by having your client's father describe how his son has reacted to what he describes as a beating by the Inglewood Police -- let's listen.
When he was angry I saw him often beat the ground and his legs with his fists, thus showing a similar habit to that of the adult gorillas, which I described as beating their breasts with their fists when confronting an enemy.
The consequence of which is that he wants occupation and that an active occupation is salvation to him with his irritable nerves, saves him from ruminating bitter cud, and from the process which I call beating his dear head against the wall till it is bruised, simply because he sees a fly there, magnified by his own two eyes almost indefinitely into some Saurian monster.
'So that's what you call beating a mat,' said he, catching it from her hands, and mimicking the tender clasp of her little fingers.
If that's what you call beating off in the Adult Contemporary isle.