from The Century Dictionary.

  • noun A strip of any textile material drawn up at one edge in gathers or plaits, and used as a bordering or trimming; a full, narrow flounce; a frill; a ruff.
  • noun Something resembling a ruffle in form or position.
  • noun In ornithology, same as ruff, 2 .
  • noun The string of egg-capsules of the periwinkles, whelks, and related gastropods.
  • noun In mech., a series of projections, often connected by a web, formed on the inner face of a flange of a metal gudgeon for a wooden shaft or roller, and fitted to a corresponding series of recesses in the end of such shaft or roller, to secure a rigid attachment of the flange and prevent its turning except as the shaft or roller turns with it.
  • noun Disquietude or discomposure, as of the mind or temper; annoyance; irritation.
  • To act turbulently or lawlessly; riot; play the bully; hence, to bluster.
  • To put on airs; swagger: often with an indefinite it.
  • To be rough or boisterous: said of the weather.
  • To bully; insult; annoy.
  • noun A brawl; a quarrel; a tumult.
  • noun Milit., a low vibrating beat of the drum, less loud than the roll, and used on certain occasions as a mark of respect.
  • To beat the ruffle on: as, to ruffle a drum.

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.

  • intransitive verb rare To grow rough, boisterous, or turbulent.
  • intransitive verb To become disordered; to play loosely; to flutter.
  • intransitive verb To be rough; to jar; to be in contention; hence, to put on airs; to swagger.
  • noun That which is ruffled; specifically, a strip of lace, cambric, or other fine cloth, plaited or gathered on one edge or in the middle, and used as a trimming; a frill.
  • noun A state of being ruffled or disturbed; disturbance; agitation; commotion.
  • noun (Mil.) A low, vibrating beat of a drum, not so loud as a roll; -- called also ruff.
  • noun (Zoöl.) The connected series of large egg capsules, or oöthecæ, of any one of several species of American marine gastropods of the genus Fulgur. See Oötheca.
  • noun the top turned down, and scalloped or plaited.
  • transitive verb To make into a ruff; to draw or contract into puckers, plaits, or folds; to wrinkle.
  • transitive verb To furnish with ruffles.
  • transitive verb To oughen or disturb the surface of; to make uneven by agitation or commotion.
  • transitive verb To erect in a ruff, as feathers.
  • transitive verb (Mil.) To beat with the ruff or ruffle, as a drum.
  • transitive verb To discompose; to agitate; to disturb.
  • transitive verb To throw into disorder or confusion.
  • transitive verb rare To throw together in a disorderly manner.
  • transitive verb to exite the resentment of; to irritate.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.

  • noun Any gathered or curled strip of fabric added as trim or decoration.
  • noun disturbance; agitation; commotion
  • noun military A low, vibrating beat of a drum, quieter than a roll; a ruff.
  • noun zoology The connected series of large egg capsules, or oothecae, of several species of American marine gastropods of the genus Fulgur.
  • verb transitive To make a ruffle in; to curl or flute, as an edge of fabric.
  • verb transitive To disturb; especially, to cause to flutter.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • verb to walk with a lofty proud gait, often in an attempt to impress others
  • verb disturb the smoothness of
  • verb mix so as to make a random order or arrangement
  • verb pleat or gather into a ruffle
  • noun a high tight collar
  • verb discompose
  • noun a strip of pleated material used as a decoration or a trim
  • verb stir up (water) so as to form ripples
  • verb twitch or flutter
  • verb erect or fluff up
  • verb trouble or vex
  • noun a noisy fight


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • Citation on chicha (in the sense of a collar).

    July 25, 2008