from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun The act of one that trims.
- noun Something added as decoration or ornament, especially a band of lace or embroidery on clothing.
- noun Accessories; extras.
- noun Scraps or material removed when something is trimmed.
- noun Informal A sound defeat, beating, or punishment.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun The act of one who trims, in any sense.
- noun Specifically, a dressing; a sharp scolding; a drubbing or thrashing.
- noun Anything used for decoration or finish; an ornamental fitting of any sort: usually in the plural: as, the trimmings of a harness or of a hat.
- noun Hence, any accessory or accompaniment: usually in the plural.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- a. from
- (Arch.) a joist into which timber trimmers are framed; a header. See
- noun The act of one who trims.
- noun That which serves to trim, make right or fitting, adjust, ornament, or the like; especially, the necessary or the ornamental appendages, as of a garment; hence, sometimes, the concomitants of a dish; a relish; -- usually in the plural.
- noun colloq. The act of reprimanding or chastisting.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun The act of someone who
- noun Material that is removed by someone
trimmingsomething, as a piece of steak.
- noun An accompaniment to a meal.
- noun colloquial, dated A
- verb Present participle of
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- noun the act of adding decoration
- noun cutting down to the desired size or shape
- noun a decoration or adornment on a garment
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.