from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A sudden, disastrous collapse, downfall, or defeat; a rout.
- n. A total, often ludicrous failure.
- n. The breaking up of ice in a river.
- n. A violent flood.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An event or enterprise that ends suddenly and disastrously, often with humiliating consequences.
- n. A breaking up of a natural dam, usually made of ice, by a river and the ensuing rush of water.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A breaking or bursting forth; a violent rush or flood of waters which breaks down opposing barriers, and hurls forward and disperses blocks of stone and other débris.
- n. A sudden breaking up or breaking loose; a violent dispersion or disruption; impetuous rush; outburst.
- n. a complete and ludicrous failure; a rout, as of an army; a great disaster; a fiasco.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Specifically, the breaking up of ice in a river in consequence of a rise of the water.
- n. A confused rout; an uncontrollable rush; a stampede.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. flooding caused by a tumultuous breakup of ice in a river during the spring or summer
- n. a sudden and violent collapse
- n. a sound defeat
To say that this debacle was a debacle is a vast understatement.
Some experts predict that the only way out of the debacle is a huge settlement in which home-loan servicers modify the terms of billions of dollars of mortgages.
If this debacle is allowed to happen it will make the Jimmy Carter years look like paradise.
Adding another layer to the debacle is the fact that Genentech has only tested Avastin for breast cancer or lung cancer treatment at a dose double that prescribed for colon cancer.
I'm using "that" as a replacement for "the dose," so the sentence could also read, "Adding another layer to the debacle is the fact that Genentech has only tested Avastin for breast cancer or lung cancer treatment at a dose double the dose prescribed for colon cancer."
"Adding another layer to the debacle is the fact that Genentech has only tested Avastin for breast cancer or lung cancer treatment at a dose double that prescribed for colon cancer."
Mr. Obama blamed the economy's weakness on the downturn in Europe, slow job growth and what he called the "debacle" of this past summer's debt ceiling negotiations.
The phrase "The Facebook Username debacle" is first used, and becomes the preferred sobriquet for the feature forevermore. 70% of commenters mention that "Facebook Username" can be abbreviated "FU", and each thinks he is the first to think of it.
The reason I fume at this Clay County debacle is that, simply because we live in Mexico and have no U.S. address, we cannot open a bank checking account up there nor open a credit card account unless I already had them when I got here despite the fact that we had perfect credit over 40 years before moving here and I´m a U. S.citizen.
One under-appreciated lesson of this whole debacle is how fortunate we are to have a distributed system of small, local community banks and credit unions.