from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A town of central Belgium near Brussels. Napoleon met his final defeat in the Battle of Waterloo (June 18, 1815).
- A city of northeast Iowa northwest of Cedar Rapids. First settled in 1845, it is a trade center in an agricultural region. Population: 66,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The name of any of several villages, towns, and cities around the world.
- proper n. A battle fought at Waterloo, Belgium on June 18, 1815, resulting in the final defeat of Napoleon Bonaparte.
- n. A notable and decisive defeat for an individual; often in the phrase “to meet one’s Waterloo”.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a town in central Belgium where in 1815 Napoleon met his final defeat
- n. a final crushing defeat
- n. the battle on 18 June 1815 in which Prussian and British forces under Blucher and the Duke of Wellington routed the French forces under Napoleon
WATERLOO, IOWA (AP) -- Inmates from the Black Hawk County jail are hitting the streets in Waterloo to help the city repair potholes from this year's winter.
• WATERLOO WEST 8-3, CITY HIGH 6-5: The Little Hawks split a doubleheader in Waterloo, thanks to three runs in the seventh inning of the second game.
WATERLOO, Ont. - Stephen Hawking will conduct research at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics in Waterloo, Ont., in June and July to make up for a visit he cancelled last summer due to illness.
WATERLOO - The Waterloo softball team picked up its first win of the season with a 7-1 victory over visiting Columbus Thursday.
WATERLOO - Virginia M. Plummer, 86, of Waterloo, died Friday, Jan. 30, 2009, at Highland House in Waterloo.
WATERLOO (KWWL) -- Police are investigating a home invasion in Waterloo.
WATERLOO (KWWL) -- The interactive Phelps Youth Pavilion in Waterloo is one year old.
WATERLOO (KWWL) -- Cultures of the world were being celebrated Saturday in Waterloo, raising money for a good cause.
WATERLOO - Virginia Nutt, 87, of Waterloo, died Friday, Feb. 6, at Covenant Medical Center; services 11: 30 a.m. Tuesday at Parrott & Wood Chapel of Memories, an Overton Family Service, 232-3235, with burial in Garden of Memories Cemetery; visitation 4 to 7 p.m. Monday at the funeral chapel; memorials to the family.
WATERLOO (KWWL) -- A new report shows Waterloo is the most segregated of Iowa's largest cities.