from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A stroke or blow that causes death.
- n. A destructive event or occurrence: dealt a deathblow to our hopes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A strike or blow that leads to death, especially a coup de grace
- n. Something that prevents the completion, or ends the existence of some project etc
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mortal or crushing blow; a stroke or event which kills or destroys.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A blow causing death; a mortal blow.
- n. Figuratively, something which destroys, extinguishes, or blights.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the blow that kills (usually mercifully)
Attempting to recreate something so perfect with just one touch of CGI is a deathblow, which is slowly becoming true of a lot of horror movies.
In a surprising move, which some are calling a deathblow to his candidacy, the Ku Klux Klan today decided to not endorse Senator Barack Obama in his bid for the Presidency of the United States.
Dan Kathan, a CVIC member, added that a 60-ft. building limit would be a "deathblow" to Collegetown, in effect stopping all development in the neighborhood.
Panel 4: This panel is of ID who is preparing another deathblow for MARCEL.
Tarsonis falls soon after, and the loss of the capital proves to be a deathblow to the Confederacy.
She was his doom, might as well deal the deathblow herself.
The new approach represents an effort to salvage as much counterterrorism cooperation as the Obama administration can at a time when top U.S. officials believe themselves in a race against time to deal a deathblow to al Qaeda's remaining leadership in Pakistan.
Egypt's revolution is no deathblow to Islamism — it is not even a debilitating injury.
Once a character is about to give a deathblow to some monster/mook, they have the option of just knocking out the target.
– Dick Morris, Fox News commentator, November 4: “A deathblow to ObamaCare.”