from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Murder; homicide.
- n. A kill; a quarry.
- n. A sudden large profit: made a killing on the stock market.
- adj. Intended or apt to kill; fatal.
- adj. Thoroughly exhausting: a killing pace.
- adj. Informal Hilarious.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. Present participle of kill.
- adj. That literally deprives of life; lethal, deadly, fatal.
- adj. Devastatingly attractive.
- adj. That makes one ‘die’ with laughter; very funny.
- n. an instance of someone being killed
- n. A large amount of money.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Literally, that kills; having power to kill; fatal; in a colloquial sense, conquering; captivating; irresistible.
- n. The act or process of causing a living organism to die.
- n. An unusually large gain in a financial or business transaction or enterprise.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of slaying or depriving of life.
- Depriving of life; deadly; doing execution.
- Overpowering; irresistible: generally in the sense of fascinating, bewitching, charming, so as to attract and compel admiration: as, killing coquetries.
- So terrible or frightful as almost to kill one; exceedingly severe; exhausting; wearing.
- n. In the manufacture of steel, the practice of stopping or preventing the evolution of gas in the steel. Steel is most commonly killed with silicon or aluminium.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the act of terminating a life
- adj. very funny
- n. a very large profit
- n. an event that causes someone to die
"Then," pursued Marcelline, "you are willing to stand by and see her slowly murdered, inch by inch, by this white-faced devil, who leans over her and professes to love her, but is killing her -- _killing her_, Dieu des dieux!
I was horrified to hear the term killing field in relation to the toll AIDS is taking in countries such as Uganda, Nigeria, South Africa and Zambia when it comes to this pandemic.
A hate filled zionist who believes in killing is calling a hindu who believes in nonviolence and has jewish relatives an ‘aryan nation’ person.
For me as a pubic land deer hunter, the killing is a REALLY small part .. lol
If you only hunt for huge HORNS, best you stay at home, as the killing is the last straw and the hunt is over.
No doubt Coppola and his screenwriter, John Milius, were fully aware of the plot of Die Walküre, the ingenious portrayal of the helicopter gunships as modernized, mechanized Valkyries — the music both romanticizes combat and wryly points out the absurdity of ancient notions of chivalry in a war where the killing is almost industrialized.
"Humph!" said Dan, as he speared up an apple out of the basket on the point of his knife, "ain't that something like what you call killing two ----"
In a statement, the Saudi monarch, King Abdullah, called on the Syrian president to stop what he called the "killing machine and end the bloodshed."
The candidate has said repeatedly that Melton used the word "killing" to describe what happens to two-week old embryos in order to proceed with the research.
That's what we call killing two birds with one stone where I come from.